Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Rose Shield - Finish!

Brace yourselves, I'm back with yet another post and another finish!  I know, right!  Two in a row.  Someone get the smelling salts, I think some of you just passed out.  LOL!

Seriously though, I mentioned last time I had a new start and now it's done.  I just need to ornamentify it.  I had gone stash diving looking for something else and ran across this little cutie in my "basket o'joy."  Let's just say it's been in that basket a really, really long time waiting it's turn for some love.  Here she is!

Design: Rose Shield
(from the Christmas Roses II leaflet)
Designer: Mary Beale
Fabric: 32ct. Natural (2 over 2)
Floss:  Called for DMC
Started: 11/6/16
Finished: 11/13/16
Completed: TBD

I still love this one as much as I did the day I laid eyes on it.  This just hits all the right buttons for me.  I love the colors, I love the pineapple (or that's what it looks like to me), I love the vintage feel of it. Everything is just so me.

Here's the leaflet it came from in case you are wondering.  It's old, like published in 1989 old!  The charts are all hand drawn.  I did a quick search on the "bay of evil" aka eBay and there are several of these leaflets still to be found.

I haven't decided yet how I'm going to ornamentify it.  I need to dig the original leaflet out to see if there are templates in there for the shapes.  I usually make a working copy so I don't mangle the original.  I'm kind of doubting there are templates but you never know.

Several folks at the guild meeting were nostalgic about this one when they saw it.  I guess Mary Beale was pretty big back in the day.  Who knew!  I'm pretty sure I'll do some more of her ornaments.  There were several of her designs in the "free box" at the LNS the day I found this one and yes, they came home with me.  They've been ripening in the stash dontcha know.


~*~*~*~

Well friends, it's a quick one today but I just had to share. I hope your week is off to a good start.  Thanks for visiting today.

More next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

14 comments:

Stasi said...


Another great finish--Mary Beale is timeless!

Robin in Virginia said...

Lisa, what a fabulous finish. I can't wait to see it in final finished form. And yes, Mary Beale is quite timeless in her designs. Hope your week has gotten off to a great start!

stitchersanon said...

Stunning. Love the colours...the tones are amazing

woolwoman said...

Mary Beale is quite collectible , Love your pineapple ornament finish. hope you enjoy it this season and many more. Mel

deb said...

I love Mary Beale's stuff - always such wonderful colors. Would guess you won't find templates with the chart, but she often included sketches for finishing ideas.

Agreeing with you - that certainly looks like a pineapple to me (so much so that I couldn't figure out your post subject line, lol).

Marilyn said...

So pretty!
Marilyn

Mii Stitch said...

Another very pretty finish!

Cricket-bug Corner said...

Somehow I missed this post! Love the pineapple!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Mary Beale is not someone I've heard of over here but she does design very nice ornaments!

Von said...

Your Mary Beale leaflet and gorgeous finish took me back in time! :D I hope you stitch more from the leaflet.

Andrea said...

A wonderful stitching finish. Looking forward to your completion of the ornament.

Margaret said...

Beautiful finish! I do love Mary Beale's designs. She has a real talent. Every time I see something of hers I want to stitch it!

Maggee said...

Awww... what a cute little finish! I look forward to seeing how you adorn it! Mary Beale designs are really beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us! Hugs!

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

It's so pretty! I love the colors. You sure are a speedy stitcher!