Thursday, April 23, 2015

New Start Progress - Hands on Design

Last night was our guild's monthly stitch-in.  It was fun to get together with the peeps for the evening to sit and stitch.  Since I'd worked all day and was pretty tired, I decided to work on my new start I mentioned in the TUSAL post the other day.  I knew stitching on 40ct. was not happening.  Oh the hazards of banging away on a keyboard all day long staring at a computer screen.  LOL!

Here's a progress picture taken at the end of the night.  This was the perfect stitch for me since my eyes were already tired.  It's worked on 28ct. even weave with three colors of DMC.  It was such a change only working with a small selection of colors.

Here a link to Hands on Design's blog.  I just love her stuff!
 
This is what it will look like when it's all stitched.  I was even lucky enough to find that actual aqua print!  In case you are on the hunt, it's by Riley Blake Designs.  The fabric line is Polka Dot Stitches and this particular print is called Polka Dot Doily Blue.  If you type in any of that into a Google search you should come up with something.

I will say a lesson I learned from my quilting days, if you don't buy a fabric shortly after it comes out you may not ever see it again.  Knowing this, I feel extremely lucky to have found the aqua fabric.  I'm less concerned about the lining fabric but am leaning toward a small red and white polka dot or maybe a gingham.  We'll see what I can find.

There's an element of this particular bag's construction that I really like.  It has an interior pocket that runs the entire width of the bag on the inside back for your chart!  How stinkin' cool is that?!

This bag is also going to be a bit wider than the bags I've made in the past.  It will be closer to 14" wide.  I'm thinking I may try to make it a bit taller too to accommodate my 11" q-snaps.  As you can tell, I'm already getting excited to finish this one so I can actually use it!

~*~*~*~

Well folks, that's all I have today.  I hope everyone has a great weekend.  I can see it from here!  Thanks for stopping by today!


Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

16 comments:

Stasi said...

Great job so far Lisa! You know I love this one!!! As for the pocket, be careful and be sure you don't place in upside down, like I did, and not realize it until it's already sewn together! :)

Von said...

That's going to be an awesome project bag! Love it!

Sparky said...

now that is just delicious...very pretty sweet lady
mdm samm

Vickie said...

This is really, really cool! Glad you got the fabric, 'cause it rocks!

woolwoman said...

I had actually gone out to HOD website and looked up the project when you mentioned it on your last blog post. You know "curious minds" and I also love Cathy's designs. Someone showed me her Oh Bee hive new design at our EGA Tea and Stitching event last weekend and now I am coveting that one! So great you were able to find the fabric you wanted for this project bag - sweet! I know you will enjoy it a lot - hope you finish by Russelville. Yes I see the weekend too - happy Friday eve - Mel

Marilyn said...

Great start.
Cathy has cute designs.
Marilyn

Robin in Virginia said...

Super start, Lisa! I love the thread colors in this project, but I can also see customizing the colors to go any favorite fabric. Go Lisa! How fun to join your peeps for sitting and stitching!

Robin in Virginia

Margaret said...

Love the stitching! I hear you on the fabric thing. I'm glad you found the fabric you needed! I like the idea of that pocket too. Looking forward to seeing it all complete!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love this pattern - I keep thinking I'll order it but I have so many others waiting for me..... :) blessings, marlene

marly said...

What a great project! The fabric for it is perfect.

Carol said...

What a fun project you have going, Lisa! I can't wait to see your pretty bag all finished up--so glad you located the same fabric! Hands on Design has really been coming out with some darling designs lately!

Enjoy your weekend--hope it's a sunny one!

Maggee said...

I am really liking her designs! I just purchased (with a gift card!) three: Winter Solstice, Twice Blessed and Garden Duet, and I have the EveryDay Sampler on my wish list (gift card there too - just can't decide!)... Thanks for the tip about fabric availability. I love many Riley Blake fabrics! I am just starting to use my sewing machine more and more, and have not tried a zipper yet--scary! In time... Thanks for sharing!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This is a lovely simple sampler which will be very striking when it is finished. Love the matching fabric, I'd go for the polka dots myself for the lining.

Annette-California said...

I love your newest project! WOW a interior pocket too! Waay cool!!!
Thank you for sharing the fabric name. Finding the right colors to compliment the sampler is always a challenge. Love the size you are thinking of making also.
YOU GO GIRL!! love Annette

Andrea said...

A lovely start to your project. Looking forward to seeing it all finished.

Irene said...

meraviglioso, mi piace tanto!