Sunday, September 27, 2015

Anniversary week - day 3 and the weekend

 Day #3

So let's take up where we left off, we got up on day three and knew we wanted to visit two places.  Our first stop was the Lane Motor Museum.  Lane Motor Museum features 150 unique cars and motorcycles and is home to the largest European collection in the U.S. The current exhibit focused on French cars!

As you can tell from the picture, it was another rainy day.  Perfect for a museum visit!  We couldn't decide if this building had once been a car dealership or just what it had been.  We later learned it had originally been home of the Sunbeam Bakery.

This is the view from inside.  I thought of my international readers and wondered if any of you had ever seen some of these wonderful cars on your local streets?  They were magnificent!

This was one of my favorite "tiny" cars.  Isn't it just so cute?!  It looks like a toy but it wasn't.  It's street legal and still runs.

This one was the tiniest cars in the whole place.  Yes, it ran too.  So cute!

Check out these Fiats!  So stinkin' cute.

This is also a Fiat!  I would totally drive this to work but I'd paint it a different color.  Love the shape of this one.

After we left the car museum we braved the traffic and went to The Hermitage, home of President Andrew Jackson.  This is the grand view of the front of the house.  They gave us little devices where we could listen to sound bites along the walking tour that talked about the grounds, the family and significant happenings.

I just had to take this picture.  There is a story that has gone around for years that President Jackson didn't want to spend the money to make the whole house grand so he just made the front look good for the arriving visitors.  Yep, that would be true!  Here's the proof.  If you look at the above picture and then look at this one, you'd be fooled too arriving in your buggy between those two grand pines.

DH and I have visited Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson and when you compare the two, this is a really modest home.  Not what you'd expect of a president's home. The tour guides said Jackson preferred to be called General Jackson instead of President Jackson.  I found that interesting too.

After our tour we ended up in the gift shop as one usually does.  I was quite surprised to find there were some cross stitch kits there.  I loved the ornament and the sampler is really sweet.  I most likely won't use the Aida in the kit and will find some linen from my stash.  Both were really pretty in person.


If I had to say which plantation I liked better, I'd have to go with Belle Meade.  It just seemed more interesting.  I think it had a lot to do with how knowledgeable the tour guides were.  The ones at the Hermitage just seemed to take for granted that the visitors already knew the story.  Personally, I really didn't know anything about the president other than his picture is on the $20 bill.  I know, that sounds really lame but sadly it's true.  I'm a history buff but presidential/political history really isn't my thing.

~*~*~*~

Since we finished our tour in the early afternoon and we really didn't have anything else we wanted to see, we started the drive back home.  However, DH wasn't exactly ready for the trip to end.  He suggested we stop at the Belterra Casino on the river in southern Indiana and spend the night.  Now mind you, the one and only time I ever set foot in a casino was on our honeymoon.  That's because it was connected to the resort we stayed at and you had to go through there to get to the food venue.  To say we are not gamblers is an understatement.  LOL!

I will say it was an interesting experience but I felt a bit sad in there.  So many people, most of them my grandparents' age, just throwing their money away.  I just didn't get it.  I guess I just have a different respect for money than some.

However, if you are looking for a really nice place to stay for not a lot of money, I would recommend you stay in the hotel part of the casino.  It was probably one of the grandest rooms I've ever stayed in!  You could have parked my car in the bathroom it was so huge.  Seriously!  We even had a river view which was super nice.

~*~*~*~
 
The end of our week off found us at the Classic British Motorcycle Club of Cincinnati's show that was held in northern Kentucky.  DH put our 1967 Honda Dream in the show and won first place in his class!  Yep, I was proud as can be and so happy for him.  It was a nice high point to finish our week together.

~*~*~*~

So there you have it, the trip recap.  I hope you enjoyed the adventure as much as I did retelling it here.  Thank you for taking the time to comment and visit.  I appreciate your being here even though I haven't been able to post as much as I'd like.

Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

10 comments:

Marilyn said...

Some of those cars are really cute.
Glad you got to see different sites, despite the rain.
Congrats to your DH for his 1st place win!
It's a cool bike!
Marilyn

Vickie said...

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. I have to agree with you on casinos. I was in one once. Yes, sad.
Congratulations to your DH.

Cricket-bug Corner said...

HA those cars are great!!

Robin in Virginia said...

I am behind and catching up! Congratulations on your husband's win! You will enjoy the stitching kits from The Posy Collection. I picked up 2 while in Williamsburg and will also switch out the fabric. I enjoyed reading your recap, Lisa!

Robin in Virginia

Margaret said...

What fun! I loved seeing the tiny cars-- those are my favorite things to see in the car world. So so cool! And the things with the sound bites at Andrew Jackson's home -- sounds like the devices they gave us at Westminster Abbey in London. They had them at the Tower of London as well. Very clever way to get a tour without having to be in a tour. We aren't gamblers either -- can't understand the attraction at all. Glad you had a good time!

woolwoman said...

glad you posted about your anniversary trip - it was fun seeing those places and hearing about them thru your narrative. I've heard of both of those estate homes. Can't believe it's the end of another month - I need to do a post myself but will I ..... take care Mel

Maggee said...

Hooray for Hubby winning in the car show!! He is probably still smiling when it is mentioned, isn't he?? Again, really neat places to visit! Not sure what we want to see first, but we have time to make an agenda! How neat that you got some cross stitch projects, for a remembrance of the museum! Thanks so much for sharing with us! I really appreciate it! Hugs!

Carol said...

Oh, such tiny cars--you know me and my love of everything tiny :) I love the pale blue fiat--I'll take two, please :) And how nice to visit The Hermitage. I've been to Monticello and wanted to move right in--such a peaceful setting...

Congratulations to your husband--the perfect ending to your trip!

Teresa said...

Wow what fun. My husband and I would love that car museum. I'll have a little fiat please... in red!
Also loved the photo of the President Jackson's "grand" house! Such an intersting fun post xx

Janelle Steele said...

I love seeing all the unique and vintage cars.