Friday, September 30, 2016

Preparing for October...an experiment

I don't feel like I've stitched much at all this year and this here blog shows it.  I've decided this stitchy slump of mine has got to come to an end.  So I've decided to try something different to maybe motivate me to work on my WIPs.

This fall I've jumped on the Bullet Journal bandwagon along with everybody else.  In the past, I've kept various digital and analog planners so trying this method sounding interesting to me.  It's been a couple months now and can see some advantages.   I've always liked to do hand lettering, draw and of course, I like to write too.


I had an epiphany the other day.  Why not make a tracker in my journal where I can note my progress on my WIPs?  So as I work on each WIP, I'll note it in the tracker.  At the end of the month I'll have a better idea where my time was spent.  I'm not going to put any pressure on myself.  I'm treating this as a learning experience not a marathon/competition to see how much I can bust out.  This is supposed to be for fun dontcha know.

So to kick things off, lets have a peek at where I stand on the ones I want to track in the month of October.  Starting with the oldest to the newest.


This is "I Sigh Not for Beauty."  I started this one as a SAL with the peeps way back in 2011.  I'm fairly sure I'm the only one who hasn't finished.  Christie, this one's for you! She's been gently nudging me all year to get crackin' on this one.  As you can see from the picture, I could pretty easily get it done if I really tried.


Next up is Heaven Above.  I've been working on this here and there this year.  I've finally moved onto page three of four!  From this point forward it's pretty much all letters with a few motifs sprinkled in here and there.  I really love this one and I really like stitching letters!


I haven't worked on this one since the Mirabilia Retreat in the spring.  It's one of Nora Corbett's mermaids.  It's charted as an "E" but I'm going to lob off a couple legs and turn it into an "L."  As anyone knows who's stitched one of Nora's designs, there are a lot of color changes which makes for slower stitching...or at least I go slower.  LOL!


Then we have the Watermelon restart.  I could easily get this one done.  It's a quick stitch.  I've been using it as my "car" project this summer when we've gone on a couple trips.  That large count really lends itself to stitching while in motion.  Although, bridges and overpasses are a wee bit bumpy no matter what count you are stitching.


This one is an oldie from Homespun Elegance.  It's called Colonial Santa and it was a kit.  I found him when I was doing some recent de-stashing.   I'm sure I picked it up in a free box somewhere.  Whoever de-stashed it before I got it had started the coat.  So far I've only gotten a  tiny bit of the beard done.  This one is interesting because it uses Medici wool floss.  That's a first for me.  It's quite springy floss.

~*~*~*~

So folks there you are, my current WIPs.  Let's see how this little experiment goes.  I think it will be fun to see who gets the most attention this month and maybe even who gets done.  I'm an optimistic little thing dontcha know.  LOL!

I hope wherever you are you are getting to spend time with needle in hand.  Thanks for stopping by today.  Have a great weekend and a great October!

Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

9 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Hi Lisa! Enjoyed reading your latest post and than you for the link on Bullet Journaling. I must live in a cave 'cuz I didn't have the foggiest idea as to what you were referring to. I enjoyed seeing your WIPs and you know, I am here on the sidelines cheering you on. Have a wonderful weekend!

woolwoman said...

Glad to see you here with a post Lisa ! any method of tackling WIP's is a good one to me. If this is all you've got - you need to give yourself a break ! what is the beautiful sampler that is almost done?
My dad is currently stitching those Mirabilia alphabet mermaids M E L for me and I'll get some finisher to make them into a bolster pillow - I also thought about framing them with matting in between. He's almost done. He is about to start the Snow Queen after that - something we got at Dixie Darlin last month on our vacation from hell - did you read my blog post about it? Well take care , enjoy your weekend and good luck with the tracking - Mel

deb said...

Everything looks great but I'm partial to I Sigh Not for Beauty as it's on my "someday" list. You're almost done!

Will be interested to watch and see how your works out.

Marilyn said...

You have a couple of projects almost done!
I hope your plan will work out fine for you, sounds like a great idea.
I love I Sigh Not For Beauty, it's gorgeous.
Marilyn

Stasi said...

I too never have heard of Bullet Journaling, but will be checking it out. Glad you're back on the stitching bandwagon--looking forward to seeing your finishes!
Stasi

Margaret said...

What a great idea to get your enthusiasm up for your stitching! I think showing on the blog is also a way to get yourself motivated too! Everything looks great. Good luck! Hope to see another blog post with your progress soon!

Von said...

Most of us go through a stitching slump now and then. Glad you're taking some fun steps to come out of it! I've started keeping a simple stitching diary for myself to keep track of my projects. Bullet journaling is really popular these days. You should share some more of your creativity from your journal! :)

Maggee said...

Never heard of bullet journaling, but I notate lots of stuff... EXCEPT stitching! That is what my blog is for! I haven't stitched in a couple of weeks, and probably won't get much done until next week... Daughter #1 is here, and we are doing the Apple Harvest festival up in the mountains from Friday through Sunday nights for the first three weeks in October...Her booth got wiped out last weekend from the hurricane that wasn't supposed to go north, so we are still reeling from that... trying to pick back up, decide what to do next... 'Nuf said. Hugs!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I keep a simple daily diary and write down which project I have stitched on that day. Then I make a pie chart graph at the end of the month. I like graphs!
None of your projects will take long to finish now, the Mermaid is my favourite. I stitched four of the Fairy Letters this year. Ten to 21 days for each one depending on complexity and length of stitching day!