Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Whitman's Cloisonné Tin Sewing Kit - Finished!

This is going to be a quick one today.  I got the itch over the weekend to dig into the "box o'shame" aka the box where I keep my finished stitching waiting to be completed.  Good lawd, it's pitiful!  Shame is the correct word, I tell ya.  As some of you might know, I have kept an Excel sheet of all my starts and finishes since I took up stitching again in 2009.  This one was one of the oldest in the box!  Let's check it out.

Here's the outside.  I found the receipt inside the chart.  Can you believe I bought this back in 2005?!  Yes, four years before I even took up stitching again.  The receipt shows I bought the tin at the same time as the chart and linen.  Wow!

Design:  Whitman's Cloisonné Tin Sewing Kit
Designer:  Jane Timmers aka Fancy Work
Fabric: 32 ct. Sand Dune
Floss:  DMC as charted
Started:  5/24/10
Finished: 5/25/10
Completed: 8/21/16

To add to the "shame" it only took me six years to actually get around to finishing this project.  Oh that's just pathetic!  I guess it just had to "ripen."  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I liked that there were "how to" instructions for lining the tin included with the chart.  It was way easier than anticipated!  I'll definitely do that again on future tins.  I may even go back and do it for the ones I've already made too.

The back did not come charted.  I did that myself using the same motifs from the front and free-styling the initials.  Thankfully the letter "P" was already charted. I included a nickel to show the tiny size of the pincushion.  I just love tiny little things!

Overall, I'm really pleased with the way this turned out.  I'm mildly ashamed of myself that it took me this long to finish it though.  It really didn't take me that long to do.  Oh well, at least I can cross one off the list now.

~*~*~*~

Well folks, thanks for stopping by to visit today.  I hope I've helped some of you feel better about your stitching.  I'm sure you all are much better at getting things done than I am.  Have a good rest of your week!

Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

14 comments:

Vickie said...

This is AWESOME! I just love tiny little things also!! :D

woolwoman said...

Jane Timmers designed our EGA Chapter nametag and taught 2 classes for us. What a talent and she is a great finisher as well as designer. She believes that everyone should learn to at least do minimal finishing because the finishing is just part of the project completion. You are lucky to have those instructions, shame she is not publishing any longer. I love what you've done - so adorable! I have a shaker box carrier pattern of hers I should do someday. Plus an awesome class piece The Charleston Box which is not too far from being finishing (the stitching) talk about shame ! I have a room full of shame not a basket full. Take care Mel

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations on your beautiful finish, Lisa! I have things older than that unfinished so you aren't the only one. Some of my earlier unfinished pieces I stitched because I liked the design (but it didn't go with the décor) or I just enjoyed stitching process, but really didn't plan to put it in finished form. Hope that makes sense! Thinking of you!

Cricket-bug Corner said...

Fabulous tin and stitching!

Stasi said...

Lisa--how sweet!!! The tin is adorable as well as the tiny pincushion and scissors. Don't feel bad..I think most of us stitchers are like this.....good intentions to stitch and finish, but then something else comes along and distracts/captures us. The important thing is you got "er done!!!

Von said...

You should be pleased! It's a gorgeous little project!

Marilyn said...

This is too cute, especially with the tiny scissors inside.
Don't feel bad, I have a Box 'O Shame also. :)
Marilyn

Annie said...

Totally adorable! I've never seen that tin before. Does Whitman even produce tins now? They used to for holidays, but I that may be a thing of the past too.

Ann said...

We all have a Box O' Shame--good for you for getting something out of yours! The tin is adorable--I love those tiny little things, too!

Carol said...

So cute, Lisa--love the tininess of everything (of course!). I didn't realize you only began stitching in 2009--just figured you had been born with a needle in your hand (ha ha!). Enjoy your day, my friend!

deb said...

What a lovely finish! Those little Whitman's tins are so sweet - believe I have several in my "someday" box...

Margaret said...

The important part is that you finished it! I know I have projects still waiting to be finish finished that I'm sure have waited even longer. So there! I love love love how it came out! The little tiny pincushion is my favorite part! The tin is wonderful too. It's just fantastic!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a gorgeous tin and a lovely finish inside it. I also love tiny stitching.
Six years is nothing though! I have to be in the "mood" for finishing. For some reason, Sunday is a finishing day for me.

Maggee said...

What a nice tin finish, with the pincushion. Very nice! I have been finishing in spurts lately. I don't have many pieces that old... but there is one set of seasonal pieces that the first one is pretty old. I just finished the last one this year, so now I can look at them for finishing! Hugs!