Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Michigan weekend

Last weekend I took off Friday and road tripped to Michigan to take another class with the Kindred Spirits Sampler Guild.  Since class wasn't until Saturday morning, I decided to take my time getting there and made a couple stops along the way.


First stop was a return trip to In The Patch Designs.  I needed some wool for a huswife project I want to start soon.  Just look at all those yummy wools!


Here's the stash that came home with me from this stop.  I'm going to use the cream herringbone wool for the background and the two black fat quarters will be for the inside.  The pink was a "just because" purchase.  I'm sure you've done the same.  The tube is a glue stick the shop owner said she uses to adhere her applique pieces.  I've not used it before so it should be interesting to try it.


My second stop was actually just around the corner at Tapestry Angel.  The last time I was up that way this shop wasn't open for the day yet and we needed to keep moving.  I'm glad I got to visit this time around!


This shop is packed with wonderful things.  She has a very nice selection of all the over dyes and beads.  She even had the Gentle Arts wool floss!  There are lots of charts to tempt you and a nice variety of fabrics too.


Here's the shop cat, Meow with her pillow!  Isn't she sweet?  She kept giving me love the whole time I was there and even greeted me at the door.


Here's the stash that jumped into my hands at this stop.  I've had that Cricket chart on my wish list for a while now and I really wanted to find the fabric for the JBW Alphabet Hearts chart my secret stitcher sent me last time.  The flosses are for the JBW chart too.  The green fabric is for a WIP I picked up at a charity sale recently.  It was a good stop!


Our class was with Margriet Hogue who owns The Essamplaire in Alberta, Canada.  Our class piece was a Mexican sampler worked by Maria Antoni.  The picture above is the actual reproduced sampler!  I've wanted to do this one ever since I first saw it on Margriet's website.

Here are all the juicy silks that came in the kit!  I ended up filling three thread cards with them.  Oh swoon!

 
Here's Margriet telling us about a specific spot in the chart.  I am very impressed with her instructions and the chart.  It's all very detailed and she even gave us a color copy of the actual size stitched piece for later reference.  I'm sure this is going to be most helpful!

Here's the part I got done in class!

 
Here it is close up.  I got into a real rhythm once I got going on it.  I'm so pleased I got this section done.  Now I can just fill in the colors!   I have a feeling this is going to be a fun sampler to stitch!

Here's the trunk show Margriet brought with her!  Needless to say there were things I couldn't live without.  Besides, you've got to support the teacher...right?!  Just say yes and nod in agreement! LOL!

Here are a few I really liked.  This is Elizabeth Russell.  I loved these little squirrels.  They are so cute.


This is Isabella Carter Maclean-1799.  I really liked this one but someone had already grabbed the pattern for it.  I may have to order it online.  It's much prettier in person than the online picture.  Love the colors!

 
The same goes for the colors in this one called Elisabeth Timms-1730.  I was lucky enough to get one of these charts!  It is really lovely in person.  I love this rendition of the ten commandments too!  The chart says it's English. It's just so pretty!


Here's the rest of the new stash from the trunk show.  The second chart is called The Butterfly Spot Sampler - circa 1650 and it's also English.  It's worked mostly in queen stitches too.  I know, I just heard the collective groan from the peanut gallery.  Really, queen stitch isn't that bad!

The book is from the Netherlands and it's on Dutch orphanage samplers.  It even came with a large chart inside!  The little wooden thing beside the book looked like an acorn to me and well, you know me and acorns!

 
During each of the classes I've taken with this guild, they always give you a little souvenir from the guild to take home with you.  Isn't this the sweetest little jeweled mirror?  I love the decorated box and card too!  Such talent this group has!  I really enjoyed my time in class with Margriet.  It was a wonderful class!

***

 
Since I was already in town, I decided to stay another night and go to the guild meeting on Sunday afternoon.  Margriet gave a lecture on Rhode Island samplers that was really interesting.  I think I'll definitely be able to pick one out now if I see one.

Here's a peek a a couple show and tell pieces!  I really liked this Birds of a Feather Rooster!  My friend Linda has it hanging in her kitchen.

 
One of my classmates from the Barbara Jackson class got her strawberry done and brought it to share.  She also finished this sweet little slipper too!

 
The guild also had a completion ceremony for those that completed the Margaret Cottam sampler.  This one is done by someone we all know but I'm not going to spoil her reveal.  You'll have to wait for it to appear on her blog!  I know, the suspense of it all.  LOL!

***
 
So there you have it, the whole recap.  If you've stuck with me this far, thanks a bunch!  It was a fun trip and I always leave wishing I lived closer to my new friends.  It's such a wonderful guild!  I truly enjoyed each and every minute of the weekend.  I can't wait for my next visit!  Waves to Terri, Suzanne, Sara, Lynn, Tina, Nancy, Julie and all the KSSG gals!
 
Thank you all too for stopping by for a visit with me.  I hope you have a great rest of the week too.
 
 
Until next time,
 
The Inspired Stitcher

17 comments:

Annie said...

Ok, I'm overwhelmed with jealousy! Not only did you find two such fabulous shops to play in, but looks like such a wonderful class experience. All those new goodies! Living the stitching good life I'd say!

Nan said...

Looks like an absolutely wonderful weekend. Enjoy your new stash ;)

Marilyn said...

That looks like a great time!
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Marilyn

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

The best kind of weekend getaway

Everything looks divine

Margaret said...

Oh I'm so envious! To see Margriet Hogue in person! And see all her lovely pieces in person too! I've always loved Isabella Maclean. The first time I saw that one I wanted it. I'll have to break down and order it. lol! Love seeing everything -- I'm glad you had a great time!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

You, my friend, are such a great addition to our guild!!! I'm so glad you had fun in the class and that you picked up some great stash, too! Thanks for showing me all your treasures - make sure you bring goodies for show and share next time! I know everyone would love to see your scissor case and tea cup!
Great pics!!!

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

What a fun way to spend the weekend. Lots of eye candy today! I would love to visit In the Patch Designs in person! Her wool is wonderful. Glad you found some for your project.

Penny said...

What a fabulous trip! Having a class with Margriet Hogue and seeing all of those gorgeous samplers would have been amazing! :)

Annette-California said...

Fabulous trip, class, shopping:))) Loved all your photos. And yes I read every word, I was glued to my screen. So interesting. thank you for sharing everything. So glad you had fun. love Annette

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

oh comme c'est beau ! et je viens de découvrir une broderie grace à vous que je veux réaliser ! merci beaucoup bisous bisous

Mary said...

Wow, so much to look at in your post! Sounds like the perfect weekend.

Shirlee said...

So many gorgeous samplers ... my head is spinning! I would love to pay a visit to Tapestry Angel : )

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Wow - now that's the way to spend a weekend! Thanks for sharing.

Karoline said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a weekend, so many gorgeous samplers

Beth said...

What a wonderful weekend. I would have increased my stash too! Love the squirrels and how fun to be able to see a great trunk show too.

Marsha said...

That Isabella Carter is a stunner. Hope you find it.

Giovanna said...

Wow, great new stash, and what a wonderful class piece - glad you had a great time.