Thursday, March 19, 2015

Common Ground Needlebook...Done!

Friends, I'm on a roll!  Sunday I put the last stitch in the needlebook and Tuesday I completed the finishing.

This one has special significance for me since I've had it in the stash since 2007.  I fell in love with the needlebook the minute I saw it in an advertisement two years before I seriously took up stitching again.  I ordered the chart from the LNS and the finishing kit from Silver Needle.

When I actually looked at the chart I felt overwhelmed.  Keep in mind this was before I got comfortable stitching on linen.  So I carefully tucked both the chart and the finishing kit away in a box.  That's where they stayed until I gained some confidence with linen and honed my finishing skills. I'm so glad it's done and now I can enjoy it!

Design: Common Ground - Needlebook
Designer: Just Nan
Fabric: 28 ct. Tattersall
Floss: DMC as charted
Started:  1/3/15
Finished: 3/15/15
Completed: 3/17/15


This was the first time I'd used Tattersall and I have to say, I really enjoyed working with it.  I found I could count my starting points really easily off the white threads that were woven into the fabric.  It was also fun to work on lower count fabric after stitching on 40 ct. samplers lately.

Here's a look at the whole thing before the finishing commenced.  I added my initials and date. That spot seemed to be the best place to put them.  It looked bare to me without something there.  I always try be diligent about signing my work.  It's the historian in me, I can't help myself.

 Here's a look at the outside.

And the inside.

The back.

I like how the closure is on the back instead of the front.  The corded tassel is a fun touch too.  It's conveniently hiding the spine stitching that keeps the two pieces of padded mat board in their separate sides.  Clever!  I'll definitely do this type of finish again.  It was a lot easier than I'd anticipated.

For those who might be wondering, this is one of a set of smalls that came with the "Common Ground" sampler chart.  The chart is an oldie from back in 2002.  I'm thinking at some point I may stitch the other pieces in the set and maybe even the sampler itself.  We'll see.

 ~*~*~*~

I hope you enjoyed seeing this finish.  Who knows what I'll pull out of my Mary Poppins bag next.  I may even dig in and do some finishing.  Tomorrow is TUSAL day and I think it will be a good report this time around.  Hope your day is good.  Thanks for visiting.


More next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

19 comments:

Ellen said...

Wow, Lisa, you've been busy since I saw you on Saturday! What a beautiful finish! I look forward to seeing it in person sometime soon.

Vickie said...

Pretty! Good for you. Keep at it!!

Stasi said...

Lovely stitch and finish!!! I couldn't help but notice the "bees"!

Annie said...

What a perfect little piece! Congrats on such a beautiful finish. I'm jealous. My finishes are always so wonky!

Robin in Virginia said...

Way to go, Lisa! Your needle book turned out fabulous. I look forward to seeing what you pull out of the Mary Poppins next.

Robin in Virginia

Marilyn said...

This is so pretty.
You did a great finishing job also.
Marilyn

Mary said...

Lisa, aren't long-term projects the best finishes of all? Now every time you look at your beautiful needlebook you'll also see your own growth. Congrats! Can't wait to see what's up next.

Margaret said...

Oh my gosh, this is just so so so beautiful! The finishing, the stitching -- exquisite! Wow! I love it!

Judy said...

Hi Lisa, your accomplishments are beautiful! Snooty parrots is stunning and the needlebook is even more stunning! Not to let out Frosty snowflake--such a cutie! And it appears you have honed in on finishing skills quite nicely. Happy spring!!

Judy Heartland stitcher

Marsha said...

It turned out great! I love Just Nan. So colorful and pretty and BEES! Love the tassel.

Terri said...

It's gorgeous! Great job!!

Sheryl said...

Lovely stitching, beautiful little treasure.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Fantastic finish. This is such a lovely design and you have made it into the needlebook so well.
Love the tassel too.

StitchinByTheLake said...

So very pretty! blessings, marlene

Ranae said...

It's simply gorgeous, congrats

Carol said...

Lisa, I'm so impressed with this little beauty! Lovely and practical all at the same time. I'm so glad you waited until you were ready to begin it because the end result is just perfect :)

Hope you have a great weekend--the sun is shining here even though we had snow yesterday!

Annette-California said...

What a beautiful needlebook Lisa!
Congrats on finishing it! Reading this post reminded me of I also had no clue as to stitching or working with linen other than adia:)
This is truly an accomplishment of achievement from your stitching back in 2002 - to now! Fantastic sweet friend! love Annette

Beth said...

How lovely Lisa. You have created a treasure!

Anna van Schurman said...

So beautiful! Lovely finishing job.