Friday, July 15, 2016

Russellville Recap - part 1

Well folks, it's that time of year again!  The annual Russellville "reunion" has come and gone.  There were only 15 of us this year.  Those that weren't present were missed.  Our drive down last Thursday started out pretty uneventful.

We took the ferry across the Ohio River.  The girls humor me every year.  I appreciate that!  They know how much I love riding that ferry.  This was the one we rode on.  I took this picture on the return trip while waiting for the bigger ferry to come back the Kentucky side to fetch us.

We also made our annual pilgrimage to visit Sondra and Carol at The Finishing Touch in Louisville.  This was the stash haul this year.  I've got an idea for the two pieces of fabric and I couldn't live without the other bits and pieces.  Sondra said those thread keeps fly right out of the shop as soon as she gets them in.  I can see why.  It's really pretty!

After we shopped we went to Cafe Classico for some sustenance.  Then a brief stop at the Hadley Pottery outlet store on the way to the highway.  I forgot to get pictures there.

As we were tooling down the road we noticed the truck beside us had a really cute passenger!  Y'all know I'm such a dog person.  That face just melted my heart.  Imagine traveling with your best pup friend.  So sweet!

Then we ran into this!  Yep, we are the blue dot on that map and yes, we went through all that nasty.  We all agreed at one point it was saints and angels carrying us through that storm.  Oh. My. Goodness!!  It was one nasty storm.  Later that evening one of the peeps' husbands called to let us know Russellville had made national news for the flooding!  There were yards and fields that had lakes of water in them.  I'm pretty sure they aren't normally like that since I've been going down there for the past seven years.  Thankfully, we arrived unscathed and ready to stitch!

~*~*~*~

Design: Russellville Getaway Group Project
Designer:  The Queen Bee aka Belinda
Fabric: 28ct. Fog
Floss: WDW & DMC
Started: 7/7/16
Finished: 7/9/16
Completed: TBD

This was our group project designed by the Queen Bee.  We all did the outer border with the same WDW Confetti floss and then had the option to choose from a basket of curated DMC for our words and flower colors.  I chose to make my flower a poppy and the words are a teal color.  We were instructed by Queen Bee to each bring enough charms, beads, buttons, etc. to share with everyone.  The thought being to attach them to this stitched piece once finished and then the whole thing would be attached to the top of a wooden box.  I decided to wait on that part until I got home but I'm happy I got the stitching done while I was there.

~*~*~*~

Dogs seem to be a common theme on this trip.  This cutie pie above is Donald (no, not named for any political figure in case you are wondering).  He's my peep, Valerie's furbaby.  Val forgot her embellishments for the group project embellishment exchange and her DH kindly drove them down to her.  Donald wanted to come along to meet us girls.  He was well received.  Such a good pup!

~*~*~*~

Well, this one is getting a bit lengthy so I'll stop here and resume with the show and tell next time.  I hope you've enjoyed our trip to Russellville so far.  There's lots more to share so stay tuned!

Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

8 comments:

Stasi said...

Sounds like a great start to a fun trip--looking forward to the next segment.

Saundra and Carol are two of the nicest ladies I know. I've been to the old shop and hope to one day make it to the new one.

woolwoman said...

Always fun to hear about the Russleville retreat. Wow that ferry looked a little scary to me! I hate driving in rain storms - bad enough to be in my house when they come thru. Can't wait to hear and see more - have a great weekend ! Mel

Maggee said...

Glad you made it through the storms in that picture! They look ferocious! Lakes for sure! That is a nice group piece... I look forward to the finish you are going to do with it... And to the rest of the Recap! Hugs!

Annie said...

What a fun trip, except for that stormy part. Must have been really scary. So happy you made it through to tell about the adventure!

Annie said...

And forgot to say that your stitching looks really pretty. It will be fun to see how you embellish it to make it a 'multi-media' piece!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I always enjoy hearing about retreats and stitching meet-ups. I love the sampler and adore the idea of adding communal charms and embellishments. A lovely way to commemorate the trip.

The black lab looks far too intelligent to be mistake for a certain politician! And too well behaved LOL

Robin in Virginia said...

Oh Lisa! What a fun weekend you had and I am relieved that you survived the nasty storm. Your group project turned out great and I look forward to seeing what you do to finish it off. Donald is one handsome pup. Enjoy your weekend and give Shelby a scratch from me.

Marilyn said...

How cool you have to take a Ferry!
Nice stash.
Glad you weren't affected by that nasty storm.
Donald is too cute, love his name.
Marilyn