Friday, March 10, 2017

Knitting Update

I've had a knitting finish since we last visited!  I wanted to share it as well as update you on my other knittiness.  So first up...the finish!

Design: Oats Cowl (Adult Long Version)
Designer: Tin Can Knits
Yarn: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Solids, Heathers & Twists
Colorway: Patchwork Grey
Needles:  Knitter's Pride Nova Platina Interchangeables US 8 (5mm) on a 32" cord
Started:  1/29/17
Finished: 3/3/17

Last Friday night I bound off my Oats Cowl!  I really, really wanted to be able to wear it to my sock class on Saturday morning.  Luckily enough, the weather turned cold again so it was perfect (never thought I'd be wishing for a cold day).  It had been a warm week!

Here's a detail shot so you can see the stitch patterns.  Overall, I'd say this is definitely a good beginner's pattern.  The yarn, I'd rate as just okay.  The colored bits were wrapped around a central grey twist and were pretty "splitty." I do like how the colors distributed though.

If I were to do this one again, I'd also do a stretchier bind off.  There is a definite difference in the cast on side and the bind off side.  The good thing is this is a cowl so it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  Just something to note.

~*~*~*~

Next up, there has been much progress on the sock!  I now have two classes under my belt. I'm still in awe that I'm actually knitting a sock.  Me...a sock knitter!  What?!

This was immediately after Class #1.  As in, I'm in the car taking this picture...in the LYS parking lot.  Yes, I'm a nerd!  No, I really don't care who knows it.  I was all geeked up!  LOL!

This is the stopping point I was to get to before class #2.  I got a bit carried away and knit an 8" leg. I have plenty of yarn and I do like my socks a bit on the taller side so it's all good.  I found that working with four double pointed needles really isn't that hard to do.  I actually really like it a lot.

Here I am last Saturday after Class #2!  OMG, can we just talk about that heel?!  I. DID. THAT!

Here's a close up 'cause y'all just gotta look at this!  I'm still amazed!

We worked a heel flap, turned the heel, picked up stitches and worked the gusset.  I'm sure the veteran sock knitters out there are giggling at me right now.  I can't contain myself.  I learned so much new stuff last Saturday.  Holy smokes!

I had the most patient encouraging teacher too.  The folks at my LYS are so kind and helpful.  I ended up spending the whole day there because I was having so much fun I didn't want to leave and they didn't care one bit.  Isn't that just the coolest?!

So yeah, I'm pretty fired up about my sock.  I can't wait until next Saturday's class when we learn to do the toe.  I've already got my homework done and ready to go.  I really really want to get going on that second sock!  I'm gonna wear these babies proudly!  Woo hoo!!

~*~*~*~

Since I finished the cowl and my sock is as far as I can go with it for now, I had to start something new.  One can not be without something to knit dontcha know!  My teacher was pulling yarn for a new start last Saturday and I kinda fell in love with it too.  She kindly wrote the "pattern" down on a post-it for me and set me up with the supplies.  I cast it on yesterday at lunch.  It's another basic cowl. 

I'm using Fyberspates "Cumulus" yarn.  There's no real pattern so I'm going to call it my "Cumulus Cowl." This yarn is the softest thing I've ever touched that wasn't alive.  I'm talking soft as a bunny and light as a cloud...probably why they named it Cumulus.  LOL!  It's 74% Baby Suri Alpaca and 26% Mulberry Silk if you can imagine that.

I haven't gotten more than a few rows in so it doesn't look like anything yet.  I'll post a picture when it's a bit further along.  The sample I saw was scrumptious!

~*~*~*~

Well folks, there you have it.  What's been going on in my world lately.  I've stitched a bit on the chocolate box and will work on it again tomorrow since the Guild is having a meeting.  Of course there will be more knitting too!  Thanks for vising with me today.  I hope your weekend is great!

Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

9 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Lisa, congratulations on your cowl finish and your turning the heel on your sock! Very cool indeed! I know you will enjoy your guild time tomorrow along with the rest of your weekend. I look forward to seeing your new cowl come to life.

woolwoman said...

You are rockin' it with the knitting GF! I can't believe your sock progress - you have really taken to knitting like a duck to water. as I told you I can't do socks because I knit too loosely and they always come out gigantimous and have to be donated to my DH. The TCK cowl is an awesome finish - I was looking at your knitting and it sure doesn't look like a novice knitter. NO WAY! I am very impressed.
Fyberspates is one of my new faves' you go straight for the good stuff don't you. I have used their Vivacious 4ply and I recently bought some of the Scrumptious DK when I visited a favorite shop in GA. I have not seen or heard of the Cumulus you mentioned. Sounds heavenly LOL - enjoy your guild meeting tomorrow - I'm going hooking with my mom. cheers Mel

Marilyn said...

Congrats on your Cowl finish.
And, your socks are pretty.
I'm glad you are having fun with your new craft.
Gotta keep those hands busy! :)
Marilyn

Stasi said...

Wow, the cowl is fantastic; I am quite impressed. Then the sock....I can't wrap my head around knitting a sock! You are a natural!

deb said...

Love the look of the yarn you used on the cowl - too bad it was difficult to work with. Ohmigosh, just look at you go with the sock! So cool ... and though I understand the concept of using the double pointed needles, am certain I'd make a hash of the whole thing. I'm cheering for you!

Margaret said...

Everything looks great! It's so great how you've leaped into knitting and are just going for it. Yay!

Cricket-bug Corner said...

I'm impressed with your knitting skills!! Looks fantastic!!

Ahitra said...

As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from Lymes, I decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
My husband suffered from Lymes and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and I saw testimony of so many people who were cured from Lymes , and so many others with similar body problems, and they left the contact of this doctor who had the herbal cure to Lymes. I never imagined Lymes had a cure not until I contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.Lymes has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua can cure Herpes,Hiv,Cancer,ALS,Copd,HPV,Lupus,MS,Diabetes, and other disease talk to Dr Itua on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony . https://drituaherbalcenter.com/shop/

quality embroidery digitizing services said...

very nice hand skills quality embroidery digitizing services very amazing