This time I happened onto a gem! This book was published in the UK in 1998 so it's not new but it sure looks like it's barely been read. It has chapters with reproduction samplers, schoolroom samplers, celebration samplers, flora and fauna samplers, and a celebration of childhood samplers. All with color charts!
This multiplication table was one of the first things that attracted my attention. I've collected several different versions of the table and at some point I want to do at least one...maybe more. The book tells us that this particular sampler is similar to one found at The Edinburgh Museum of Childhood and it is thought to have roots in Scotland.
The Mary Elizabeth Nicholson sampler is one of the reproduction samplers in the book. There are actually four different samplers in each chapter and a section at the end of the chapter showing different ideas for using the motifs in them. I like this one for the top alphabet and the Berlin style motifs at the bottom. The funky border is said to possibly be Welsh in origin.
This sampler was the one that cinched it for me! My parent's will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this year and I've been on the hunt for an anniversary sampler to stitch for them. This one looks like it will finish right at 8 x 10" so it shouldn't take forever to stitch. I like that the writing is simple and the border makes it special. Now to find the time to gather up the stuff and actually stitch it. I've got acorns to finish first!
~*~*~*~
~*~*~*~
I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm going to kick mine off with a night out with the Tiara Club girls. Hopefully I'll get some more acorns made tonight...that is if I don't socialize too much! I know, imagine that. LOL! Thanks for stopping by.
Until next time,
The Inspired Stitcher
14 comments:
What a great find!
Lucky you to find that book! I love that anniversary sampler. Love your acorn progress too!
Wow, what a great find.
Great progress on the Acorns.
I'm enjoying watching this progress.
Marilyn
Great find! Congratulations! We have a couple HPBs within driving distance. Haven't been to one for a while but we usually find some sort of treasure while we're there : )
What a great book! OOOOOh a stitchy evening--enjoy. The acorns are beautiful. Have a nice weekend.
Judy heartland stitcher
Hi Lisa. I have checked this book out a few times from the library myself. What a great sampler for your parents.
What a great find & your acorns are looking lovely
Great book find!
I love your progress on this project!
Have a great weekend!
Your acorns are looking fabulous! Super find on the sampler book! Hope you had an enjoyable evening with the girls.
Robin in Virginia
oh c'est trop beau il y a tous les samplers à broder dedans le livre ? Il me le faut je vais chercher !
bisous de FRANCE, Marylin
You always find these great books - I will be on the hunt now:) Love your choice of sampler that you are going to stitch for your parents - beautiful. Oh your class piece is soo pretty. Glad to hear you are keeping up in the class.
love Annette
Well done on finding such a lovely book. Love the acorn piece, it's so pretty.
That book is so lovely, have borrowed it from our library. You were lucky to pick it up. I stitched the Multiplication table for our son's 21st Birthday present.
Happy stitching.
Bev.
I have that book, from new in 1998!
If you go to my Happy Dance b,og and choose Brenda Keyes from the labels you will see the designs I stitched from it.
Post a Comment