Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Auburn, Indiana Getaway

Last weekend eight of the Russellville Retreat girls got together for a fall retreat in Auburn, Indiana.  We decided that the New Mexico/Texas group gets together for a spring retreat so why couldn't we "easterners" get together for a fall getaway?!  Seemed like a good plan so we did!


Now those that know me will tell you that I can sleuth out a stitch shop wherever I go and this trip was no exception!  We stopped at Stitch N' Frame in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, on the way to the B & B.

As an aside, do you Hoosiers see the Indiana "institution" next door?  Gotta love Pizza King!  Since moving to Ohio, I don't get to eat there nearly enough.  I love this stop already.  Okay, back to the stitchy stuff.

 
Here's the fabric/floss wall.  This is just part of it.  I couldn't get it all in the picture.  This shop carries all the Weeks, Gentle Arts, Crescent Colors and a few silks.  Lots of nice fabric too.  There was a wonderful scrap basket that wasn't nearly as full when we left.  Yep, we hit it pretty hard!  The prices couldn't be beat!


Oh yes, we rightly enhanced the economy too!  Now normally I'd show you my stash haul but I can't this time since a good bit of it is for Christmas presents and exchange gifts.  You'll just have to trust me on this one.

After our shopping show and tell later at the B & B, the other girls wanted to visit the shop after breakfast on Saturday.  Yes, I even made a second trip here the next day with the rest of the peeps. Yes, I was bad the next day too.  There were a couple things that were haunting me that I just had to go back to get!  I know you've had that happen too.

Just CrossStitch
Just CrossStitch

An interesting tid-bit about this shop, they do all the framing for Just Cross Stitch Magazine!  Yep, go get your latest issue and look at the index in the back.  How cool is that?!  The shop also hosts stitch gatherings so if you want to come for a sit-n-stitch, you are welcome to do so!

The shop's owner told me she is working on getting a web page by the first of the year but for now they have the Facebook page. That's how I found them. It's amazing what a Google search will return! This was definitely a worthwhile stop and I'll be back next time I'm up that way.


Here's where we stayed, at the lovely Inn at Windmere B & B! Now I have to confess, I'd never stayed in a B & B before but I could definitely get used to it! We were so spoiled all weekend long. We never wanted for anything. Every detail was taken care of for us. I've never eaten so much delicious food. Oh. My. Goodness!


We were even treated to a song played on this harp by one of the inn keeper's daughters after dinner on Friday. What a talented young lady. This was also another first for me. I had never heard a harp played in person. What a magical sound!

 
The stitch room was in the lower level of the home.  It's where the couple home schooled their eight children!  Yes, I said 8!!!  I'm giving them the Wonder Woman and Super Man capes.  Holy smokes!
 
 
The Inn regularly hosts scrapbooking and quilting retreats.  We were their first group of stitchers!  Needless to say we've already booked our weekend for next year.  We truly had a wonderful time here!  Even Fiona and Senior Frog had a good time at the Inn.  See them photo bombing my pictures up there?!
 
 
Here's our group in front of the fireplace in the great room.  We have a pair from Michigan, one from southern Indiana, one from northwestern Kentucky, two from northern Ohio and two from southwestern Ohio.  We missed our pair from Missouri and the other pair from southwestern Ohio.  Hopefully next time!
 
We all departed before the ugly weather set in on Sunday.  We drove home straight into some pretty ominous clouds and mighty gusty winds.  Thankfully everyone made it home safe and sound before the storms blew through.  One of our Michigan girls had a tree down across her driveway but no real damage.  We were all being looked after for sure.  I am thankful!
 
Special thanks goes to Sandi and Judy for discovering this gem of a location and putting it all together for us. Also special thanks goes to Susie and Paul for hosting us in their lovely home. I can't wait until next year!
 
I had a mini-finish while at the retreat but I'll share it in it's own post!  I'm super excited about it.  Stay tuned!
 
 
More next time,
 
The Inspired Stitcher

11 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

What a fabulous weekend you all had! Stitching weekends are the best!

Robin in Virginia

Margaret said...

Wow, looks like a fabulous time! A great location, great shop too! I had to lol about Easterners. :D

Mouse said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I likesees the shop ... and not jealous at allllll re the retreat ...lol as I am off today to HARROOOGATE ..lol seee how excited I am ...lol
love the photo bombs ....
leaving my wee micie behind this time as its soooo cold it was snowing last night eeeek t.t.f.n love mouse xxxxxx

Marilyn said...

Looks like a great time.
Just look at all of that fabric and floss!!
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Marilyn

Brigitte said...

I'm reading about several retreats on the blogs these days adn all the participants give such great reports. And you are no exception. Such a lovely chance to meet other stitchers and to learn something new.

Chris said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Andrea said...

Sounds like a whole lot of fun.

Carol said...

Yay! Another annual B&B stitching getaway!! Looks like a wonderful time was had by all and I'm so glad you found a great new shop. Sure wish we had some decent shops nearby--that scrap basket in the one you went to sounds perfect for me!!

SandraRee said...

B&B Inns are the best. Anywhere you go. Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for letting us see how much fun these retreats can be.

woolwoman said...

wow you do such fun things ! I'm glad to "go along" on all your adventures. Nice you found a LNS to peruse during your stitch retreat. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Melody

Shirlee said...

What a fun time! Thanks for posting all the photos & taking us along on the trip : )