I had Señior Frog to keep me company along the way. He and I listened to my iTunes through the car's bluetooth and away we went! The girlies following me have now dubbed me Mario...ahem! Yes....I do tend to have a lead foot. I blame it on a really smooth riding car. Yep, that's it!
We made a stop at The Finishing Touch in Louisville to stretch our legs and do a little shopping. Gotta enhance the stash dontcha know. As you can see a few little things had to come home with me. We got back on the road for a short hop south of the city for lunch and then we kicked it on into Russellville.
Here's a peek at our nest. We usually spend our first night at the "hive" setting up and settling in. We have a pizza dinner so as folks straggle in they aren't missing dinner. The next morning we get down to stitching!
This was our group project for this year's getaway. It's Blackbird Designs' "Summer in Bloom - Pinkeep Drum." We used the called for GAST floss and 28ct. Silkweaver Days Gone By linen.
Speaking of finishing things, I've alluded to a round robin group project here on the blog. Well, we finally got to reveal them. This was the first time we saw them all together after they were finished.
I purposely left the picture scaled small for privacy sake. Most of these have the names, city and state of the participants on them. Some things just don't need to be put out there. I know you all understand. I can tell you we had participants from Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Michigan.
I'm sure you are curious how we accomplished this. Our organizers distributed the same set of quilt square charts from Susan Greening Davis (used with permission) to all of us. Each of us chose our own fabric, floss, and layout. As we received the stitched squares, we tried to choose a block to stitch that hadn't already been used. We tried to use complimentary colors so all the blocks would look nice as a group.
We sent them out each month by the 15th. We were paired up in groups of two since that's how our geographic location worked out. After I stitched my square on the two I received, I passed them along to my peep in the city at one of our stitch-ins. She sent them on when she was finished stitching her squares. And so it went until we were done!
They all turned out really nice and each is so different from the other. They really do reflect all of us. There is talk that we may do another round robin. The Queen Bee was quite impressed and maybe a bit envious that the worker bees struck out on their own. Giggles!
I chose to stitch a bee skep with tiny bees and my monogram since we all have the same bag. The skep represents our "hive" where we stitch each year and the bees represent us as stitchers aka worker bees.
In case you are wondering, the monogram is from a vintage DMC chart and the bee skep is from Prairie Schooler's chart #193 "Where there are Bees." I used 32ct. cream scrap for them both and finished the edges with nun's stitch. I used the called for DMC on the bee skep and NPI 947 & 572 on the monogram.
It reminds me of the Geico camel which is my all time favorite commercial ever! I can't watch this video without laughing.
Well folks, this one has gotten pretty lengthy today and I'm not done yet. I'll leave you on this funny note and pick up again tomorrow with show and tell as well as the stash I got from the Queen Bee's "boutique." Hope you enjoyed the recap so far!
More to come,
The Inspired Stitcher
12 comments:
What a fun adventure you had in Russellville, Lisa! Nice stash you picked up at Finishing Touch!
Enjoy your weekend!
Robin in Virginia
That looks like a fantastic retreat!! My sister gave me a squirrel from Red Rose this year..I had not heard of the figurines before. That pinkeep is going to be just GORGEOUS!!!
Really enjoyed hearing about the retreat Lisa - you certainly have a dedicated group to be able to accomplish all you did with the round robin. such a prolific group of stitchers. LOVE your tiny hive and cypher for the bag. Your Queen must be a lovely person to organize all this. Can't wait to hear more - enjoy your weekend - Mel
Oh, how I miss the trips to Russellville now that I live in Missouri. My favorite time at this retreat was the desserts and the visiting on Belinda's porch. I loved to sit in the swing while everyone talked about their past year. You are my connection and I love visiting your blog. Rita
Your retreat sounds like a lot of fun!!! Love all the "bee" stuff especially!
So much fun! Love the drum pinkeep. And how cool to see all those finished round robins and the stitchers. Everything about this is just delightful!
Looks like such fun! Love the retreat project and the Round Robin pieces look so pretty too! I hope Senor Frog was good and stayed away from your stitching!
Looks like a great time.
All great projects and stash. :)
When I saw your Camel, I thought of that commercial too. lol
Love the Beeskep needleminder.
Enjoy your goodies.
Marilyn
Russellville KY or Russsellville TN? Looks like you had a great time ... lucky you : )
The Round Robin projects came out really nice. I could never do that. I'm not good with commitments and I would probably misplace the piece anyway! Love your bag additions.
That IS one of my fave commercials too... The one about Hump Day!! I admit I initially had to pause and think a minute before I got it! I love commercials that are funny/clean! Looks like another great retreat! Living vicariously through you... The Round Robin intrigues me... Are you going to stitch the Erica Michaels one on the gauze?? Great stash... I look forward to seeing your finished projects... Hugs!
Love your traveling companion - My sister travels with Jiminiy Cricket!
Post a Comment