Monday, July 14, 2014

Saturday Stitch-in and Quaker Faith progress

Saturday was an outstanding day at the QCSG all day stitch-in.  We had a guest lecturer who brought all kinds of neat needlework necessities, tools and toys for us to all drool over. It was absolutely fascinating!  Most of them were from the 1700's and 1800's.  I took a ton of pictures so I'll let them speak for themselves and chime in where I can.

The bonnet girls had hand drawn faces and the box in the lower left was a child's needlework box.

The two shell shaped pieces were referred to as etuis and held small tools.  The box in the back had secret compartments.

I absolutely fell in love with this chatelaine!  In addition to the watch there is a scissor holder, needle case, thimble holder and pad of paper!

I love these turned wood pieces.  The box in the lower left was made by a sailor from shells collected during his travels.  The basket in the back was a family piece.

I loved all these tiny things especially the needle cases.

 Who would ever look at a walnut shell and think tool holder?  Apparently someone did!
 

 I love the spool holder on the right.  You pull the pins up and load the spools onto them.  The pincushion on the top is worked in bead embroidery!

 These were all made of either bone or ivory.  The carving was amazing!

These were called "third hand" tools.  They were used to hold fabric and clamped to a table top.

All of these were metal and came from England.  I love the chick and the bunny. They were tape measures.

The inlay woodwork was stunning on this box.  You lift out the tray and stow your project underneath!  Wouldn't that be a fun way to travel with your needlework project.

This was my absolute favorite of all.  It's French and was made by more than one crafts person.  Just look at that exquisite embroidery and those breath taking tools.  Swoon!
 
Edited:  Rae over at Reconstructed Fabulousness helped me remember what this particular box was called.  It's a Palais Royal (click here for more info).  The tiny pansy hallmark is a dead giveaway!  I'm adding some additional pictures for your viewing pleasure below!
 

This is the pansy hallmark to look for that identifies them as Palais Royal.  The word pansy in French means remembrance.
 
I was so amazed by the craftsmanship in all these tiny treasures when thinking about the technology back when they were made.  Everything done by hand and with such attention to detail.  There are simply no words.  Wow!
 
~*~*~*~

I didn't get very good pictures of the show and tell table but we were able to lay out the three Snooty's and get a group picture!  On the left is Ellen's finished piece.  She had her framer bring it so we could take the picture.  In the middle is J's piece almost done and then you all have seen mine recently.  It was fun to see them all together.
 

I chose to work on my Quaker Faith for the day.  I hadn't touched it since at least April.  I decided it was high time to do something on it.  I managed to finish the church and a wee start on a motif in the lower right corner (that brown squiggle).  I really don't have that much to go on it and should just buckle down and get on with it already. LOL!
 
~*~*~*~

 
 

Ever had your car just pull into a place like an invisible force field is sucking it in?  Yep, that's what happened to me.  On my way home I got sucked into stopping at the Half-Price Books store.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Something just told me to pop in and see what was there.  Boy, am I glad I did!  I've been watching the top book for ages on the bay of evil.  The second one just looked interesting.  The other cool thing was I paid even less than the sticker price because have a discount card.  One of the perks of my job! 

So yep, it was an outstanding day all around...cool lecture, fun show and tell, progress made and new books!  I hope you enjoyed seeing all the juicy things we saw on Saturday.  I just love days like that!

Well folks, I hope you all have a good week and get to make some progress too.  I need to get packing for my trip later this week.  I've got my stitch bag almost packed and need to do the usual other stuff you do to get ready to leave.  I'm so excited!  I promise I'll come back with a full report!


Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh what a treat to have this lovely collection of needlework tools available for you to view. Thanks so much for sharing. The three layer spool holder with the inlay is just fabulous and the what looks like a Palais Royal embroidered boxed set in the last photo is just to die for. :-) Rae

Marilyn said...

All of the needlework accessories are just beautiful.
The parrots are looking good too.
What great deals you found at 1/2 Price.
Have fun on your trip!
Marilyn

Margaret said...

Oh my gosh, I'm drooling over all the antique needlework tools! Wow wow wow! Wish I could afford a collection of my own. Love your Quaker Faith piece. The colors are wonderful! Snooty looks great too! Great finds at the bookstore too!

EvalinaMaria said...

I wish I was there! Thank you for sharing pictures.
Your stitching looks lovely and it reminded me that my snoopy parrots soon will be an UFO if I do not start to work on them immediately!

Kerri said...

What a fabulous program! I have seen pictures of a lot of antique tools but to actually see them in person would be to die for!

Loved seeing all the pieces grouped together.

Judy said...

Wow, the display is amazing. I am sure in person it was really fabulous. Both of your stitchy pieces are coming along. Enjoy your weekend trip!

Judy Heartland stitcher

Carol said...

How special that you got to see all of the antique needlework beauties in person, Lisa! Really amazing that they were created so long ago and still survive today.

And what a great find on those books! I'm sure we'll be seeing a nice new project from one of them springing up very soon. Love your WIP, too!

Enjoy your trip--looking forward to reading all about it :)

geeky Heather said...

I am certain I would have fainted dead away from all that loveliness if I had seen it in person! Thank you for sharing the pictures. I always dream that I'm going to happen across some antique needlework tools in a shop one day...that I can afford, LOL!!

Stasi said...

You hit the tri-facta for stitchers! What a great day--would loved to have seen all the lovely "tools". Very jealous!!!

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

What an amazing treasure trove of sewing tools! I must admit the spool holder was my favorite but everything was so stunning. Thanks so much for sharing it with us! Kimber

Shirlee said...

How lucky for you to be able to see all those lovely treasures! I agree ... that last sewing box is the best : )

Maggee said...

Your Stitching Guild does the best activities! What a great display! Love the Quaker Faith piece so far.. Have a great trip! Hugs!

Anne said...

The needlework necessities are darling! So fun to look at them all!! Your Quaker piece is beautiful as is the Snooty Parrots sampler!! What a great find at that book store! Those books cost a lot and cost even more to ship!

Vickie said...

Oh wow, wow, wow!
You sure do find the good books there! I have some luck at our local Goodwill with cross stitch books sometimes.

Andrea said...

Wow those are beautiful antique tools. I suppose in their day they were everyday tools but now we see them as wonderful treasures. Great book bargains. Have a good trip.

Mamilou said...

De magnifiques trésors !!! Un grand MERCI pour ces très belles photos et BRAVO pour ce très bel ouvrage en cours !!!
Chantal ou Mamilou

Giovanna said...

So nice to see the snooties together - you've made lovely progress. Great book finds too. I've just caught up with your blog (I've become really bad at following blogs...). Have a wonderful trip.

Karoline said...

What a wonderful collection of tools!
All the snooties look great and your Quaker is looking lovely. Nice finds at the bookstore

Annie said...

Somehow I missed this post earlier. What an incredible day you had. That collection calls for its own museum! Really amazing.

Love your Quaker piece.

And what a score at the bookshop. I never seem to get that lucky. You must have good intuition!