Thursday, April 5, 2012
Eastertide Reflections
This week has been a strage week for me. We lost a colleague suddenly earlier this week and we've all been in a funk ever since. Today was the memorial.
I think this loss has particularly hit me since it's not been all that long ago I personally experienced two losses a month apart. I know all too well what this family is feeling right now. My heart breaks for them.
Last night I went to a lecture where the speaker was talking about what it was like to grow up behind the Iron Curtain. His perspective on childhood as someone who grew up on the "red side" during the Cold War really struck a chord with me.
He really made me reflect on the things I take for granted like where I live and where I work. I never thought either of these things were all that special until now. I've always had access to books, been able to speak freely and enjoy the freedoms that come with living here. Both the lecture and the loss have really made me reflect on life.
So this Easter season I'll be reflecting on thankfulness. I'm thankful for my ability to create without censorship and to be able to share it openly with others. I'm thankful for the encouragement, friendships and support I've found through stitching. Most of all, I'm thankful for family and freedom.
I hope you have a Happy Easter and get to spend time with those you love this weekend! Thanks for stopping by today.
Until next time,
The Inspired Stitcher
Labels:
Inspiration
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
So sorry about the loss of your colleague at work. And communism -- yes, I do think we take lots of things for granted in this country. I feel more aware of this since I'm first generation and come from a family who escaped from a country which turned communist. Hearing my family's experiences has made me grateful for what I can take for granted in this country.
I wish I had been able to go to that lecture with you. I would've loved to have heard that speaker! I'm very sorry to hear about your colleague. Do try to have a Happy Easter.
Find what's important to you and cherish it. CJ in OK ;-)
Lisa --
I'm so sorry about the loss of your colleague.
I hope you enjoy your Easter with your family and friends:)
We do have so, so much to be thankful for in this country...
Thinking of you and your work colleagues--I'm sure you'll be feeling the loss for a long time.
Happy Easter to you and your family.
bisous de France ...
I am so sorry to hear about your colleague, Lisa. That must be tough.
I tried to e-mail you just a few moments ago, but the e-mail bounced. Is your e-mail in-box full?
Post a Comment