Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cath Kidston - Dog Days FINISHED!


The last time I went to get my hair cut I stopped in Half Price Books to browse around and kill time until my appointment.  I ran across the September 2011 issue of Cross Stitcher Magazine.  I'd not seen it before and then realized the reason why is because it's British!  I fell in love with several designs in it so I bought it.


I took the magazine to work the next day because one of my coworkers has a wire-haired terrier and I had to show him this design.  It looks just like his dog!


Design:  Dog Days
Designer:  Cath Kidston (from Cross Stitcher Magazine)
Fabric:  32 ct. barn grey
Floss:  DMC as charted
Started:  10/13/11
Finished:  10/25/11
To be framed by it's new owner

It's charted for needlepoint but I obviously didn't stitch it that way.  I also changed the first row to be black to frame the dogs better and didn't do as many rows of red either since it will be framed.

My friend fell in love with this design immediately and literally begged me to stitch it for him as a Christmas gift for his wife.  He said this would be the one gift that would really surprise her.  Now I have to tell you, how could I resist?!  Besides I've met their dog, Whitman and he's a cutie pie.  I also know his wife and yes, he's right, she will be surprised!  She is really smitten with their dog.

My friend also wouldn't let me just stitch it for the fun of it and give it to them.  Oh no, he insisted on paying me for stitching it.  Seriously!  I still can't believe someone really wanted to give me money to stitch.  Really?!

I've never done commission work.  I'd rather just stitch for the joy of stitching and giving it to someone.  However, he wasn't having any of that so there you go.  My first commissioned piece.  Just typing that is funny to me but that's what he called it.  I think it sounds all hoity-toity and I am about as far from that as you can get.  Seriously!

Anyway, he's as pleased as punch that he now has a one of a kind gift for his wife and I'm happy he's so happy with it.  I was going to stitch it for myself anyway so this was a bonus.  Funny how things go sometimes.

***


While flipping through the magazine I saw an ad for the above book.  I've been a Cath Kidston fan for ages.   I had no idea she had published craft/stitching/sewing books!

Well, I couldn't resist and immediately went to Amazon to see about getting myself a copy.  Oddly enough, I couldn't find it on the US Amazon site and had to go on  Amazon.co.UK to find it.  It came with a kit for the project shown on the cover tucked inside.  Fun!  I was also pleasantly surprised by how quickly it came across the pond too.

It always amazes me how one discovery leads to another and then another.  If I hadn't stopped in the bookstore that night I wouldn't have found the magazine, then I wouldn't have shown it to my friend, and then I wouldn't know about this book.  How cool is all that?!

***

I hope you enjoyed my crazy tale today.  Thanks so much for reading this far and for your visit today.  Your comments and visits really do mean a lot to me.

Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

8 comments:

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

You did a fantastic job on the dog design. It's so cute! I can see why your friend wanted to get it for his wife. Love Cath Kidston, too. I have her Sew! book but hadn't seen her Stitch! one. Thanks for the inspiration today.

BeckySC said...

Too doggone cute ;-)

Carol said...

Oh, those are the cutest pups--lots of serendipity going on in your life, I'd say :)

Lisa S said...

Love the pups! Great find! My Joann's fabrics carries one of the British Mags ( I don't think it is the one you found) and every so often I pick one up. I love their mags!
Congrats on your commissioned piece :)

Mouse said...

ooo way to go on the commissioned piece heheh... I did get that mag on subscription but it has changed for the worse since it had its make over so to speak .... so I go and peak at them now before I buy .... :) love mouse xxxxx

Margaret said...

Oh wow! How cool! Love the design you stitched up from the mag. And the book -- I didn't know that was available either! The mag is available on the iPad now. I need to go take a look! Thanks!

AnyoneCanQuilt said...

Holy cow, I LOVE Cath Kidston, and I LOVE your stitchery. It's adorable. All of your cross stitching is beautiful. It's something I'd like to try one of these days. Thanks for the inspiration! x

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I subscribe to that one too, I was debating cancelling because of the issues Mouse mentioned. BUT I'm halfway through collecting the Emily Peacock alphabet so I managed to beat them down on the subs price to a level I was happy paying!
Cath K also has a new patchwork book out and loads of stationery too. Check out this website: http://www.rucraft.co.uk/search.php?action=search&keyword=kidston&treecode=