Sherri's lucet collection
I wanted to tell you about last weekend's lucet class with Sherri Jones of Patrick's Woods. It was awesome! I have to say that if you ever have the opportunity to take class with Sherri you will have a ball and learn a ton. She is so friendly and welcoming. I instantly felt like I'd known Sherri for a long time.
Sherri with her super size lucet! Isn' that just too dang cute?
We started out learning the history of the lucet. As you know, I love history so this was right up my alley. We learned the lucet can be found made of wood, bone, horn, and even silver. We also learned it came from the Vikings and is enjoying a resurgence at historical reenactments.
We spent the morning learning how to make square braid on the lucet and then the afternoon was spent learning flat braid. We also tried adding beads and inlaying threads too.
We learned the size of the cord produced is determined by the fiber size not the size of the lucet. Thank goodness, look at the one Sherri was teaching with!
Cord examples
I have to tell you that it's all about the tension on your fiber. Seriously! I'm thinking I'm going to have to do some more practicing before I can get good enough to make the many yards need to finish our project. However, it will be worth it!
My lucet collection
I surprised myself by how quickly I took to using the lucet. I am happy to report I am officially hooked. I now have my own collection of lucets! Yep, that's how hooked I am.
The one on the top left is the one that came with our kit. The one on the upper right and lower left are made of walnut and the one on the lower right is made of cow horn. I bought these from Sherri after "road testing" them in class.
She also had one just like the one in the center. It's made from a silver dollar! Yes, it actually does make cord. I tried it out on Sherri's. She told us she got it from Etsy. I went over there and had one made for me too. I couldn't live without one. It's just too dang cool.
Jenny and I with our lucets
It was a real treat to have Jenny spend the weekend at my house. We had a ball exploring the basket o'joy and the box o'fun on Friday night. As well as the other random piles of stash that litter my studio. It was fun having someone to hang out with. You'll have to pop over to Jenny's blog to see her Hare Pyns finish. She took that class on Sunday.
Speaking of blogs, I met a new-to-me blogger at the Lucet class. Her name is Amy and her blog is called Thread in Hand. Go check her out. We had fun sitting together in class. She and her friend, Kathy (no blog) sat across the table from Jenny and I. They were a hoot.
***
After class we several of us went to our hostess, Paula's house to check out all her awesome stitching.
Paula's entry hall
I stitched the piece in the back on the left for Paula!
(Jenny has a good pic of the box top on her blog.)
Check it out, Paula collects Shaker boxes too!
It was so fun to visit another stitcher's house and admire all her pretties. Someday I hope my house is filled with as much stitchy goodness as Paula's.
***
After we left Paula's house we all went to a steak house for dinner. It was fun getting to know Sherri, Amy, Paula and even Jenny a bit better. We shared stories about how we each got into stitching and just generally had a great time. I sure wish we all lived closer together. It would be so fun to get together for a Saturday stitch day once in a while. I had a great time in class and a great evening spent with friends old and new. I can't wait to take class with Sherri again.
I hope everyone enjoys the weekend. I hear we are due for some sunny 80 degree weather in my neck of the woods! I can't wait. I foresee a certain motorcycle coming out of the garage this weekend. It's going to be a good one!
The Inspired Stitcher
6 comments:
Wow! You did get bit by the Lucet bug, LOL. I didn't realize she had other Lucets to purchase, but that is a good thing. Your posts have been fun to read.
Looks like a fun and informative day--we'll be expecting some lovely braided trims from you now :)
Hey L-bug - guess what I brought with me to the career fair today - that is right, my new lucet! I did get some square cord made in the breaks. My tension is still varying wildly, but I am having so much fun that it doesn't matter.
I got my silver dollar lucet yesterday in the mail. It is so pretty! DH took a look at it and commented that it was too bad, since the dollar itself is such a pretty coin. Oh well, you can't win'em all over....
What a great post! I have never heard of a lucet until now. I am curious about this so I am off to research more. Love the little silver one....looks like a charm for a piece of jewelry, so adorable. Smiles....
thx for sharing. I've been wanting to learn how to use a Lucet - will have to keep on the look-out for a class ; )
My first thought was, "What the heck is a lucet???". Very interesting! You learn a new thing every day--thanks! Loved seeing the photos of Paula's house. I always love snooping through other people's houses and seeing how they decorate!
Post a Comment