Monday, November 14, 2011

First Ornament Finish


Design: Christmas Tree
Designer: Prairie Schooler (mini card)
Fabric: 28 ct Natural Light Jobelan
Floss: DMC as charted
Started: 11/1/11
Finished: 11/6/11
Completed:  11/13/11
 
Finally, I've finished my first ornament for the season!  It took me a while to percolate on just how I wanted to finish this one.  I finally decided on flat.  Husband said from the beginning is should be flat and several commenters did too.  So I went with it.  I also decided to go simple and not do any frou-frou.
 
I tried a new-to-me finish this time too.  I had already back stitched around the design in case I decided to do a stuffed finish.  The method I ended up doing came from the back of the latest JCS Christmas Ornaments issue.  I whip stitched the back stitches around three sides leaving the bottom open.  Then I glued some batting to a square of mat board that was cut about an eighth of an inch (about 3 mm) smaller than the stitched piece.  Once it was dry I carefully slid it into the open end and stitched it closed.
 
I actually like this method better than the way I've done it in the past and will most likely do this again.  It would be really easy to add beads to the edges as you go along doing it this way too.  You could also go back and stitch on some type of trim or twisted cord this way too.
 
And to think I procrastinated on this one.  Silly me!
 
Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Welcome to my new followers and thanks to all for stopping by today.
 
Until next time,
 
The Inspired Stitcher

14 comments:

Margaret said...

Beautiful finish! Love the design and I love how you finished it too!

geeky Heather said...

Ooo, that's a really great way to finish. Thanks for pointing it out; I must admit I completely ignore the finishing instructions they have unless it is something very unique. But that would be really easy to do, and I agree...easy to add beads, too!

Laura said...

Love your ornament finish! That is such a lovely design and the finishing is perfect!!! So happy for you!

Peggy Lee said...

You did a fine job in finishing. It will be a beautiful addition to your holiday decorations I'm sure.

Christie said...

Another pretty finish Lisa.

Mouse said...

ooo well done .. it looks lovely done that way :) love mouse xxxx

Lisa S said...

Beautiful finish my friend!!
I wanna see some beads on the next one LOL
Hugs

staci said...

Your ornament is lovely! Congrats on a wonderful finish!

Jeannette said...

A very nice Christmas ornament & beautifully finished :)

Carol said...

Beautiful ornament--I'll have to try that type of finish very soon :)

Anne said...

What a lovely finish!! This design is lovely! I do like the flat finish. Very simple, yet effective.

Bekca said...

This is a lovely finish, I've just seen it on the Christmas Ornament blog. Hello from a new follower! Happy stitching to you.

Bertie said...

A lovely finish, how many more to go? lol. You can make it up anyway you want:))
I am lazy and make all mine (if I do xmas ornie's) into lavender pillows, the tree smells a little different that way:))

Kerri said...

What a lovely finish. I have never tried that method but the results are stunning. So I will give it a try with something from the "box of shame" aka all those things that still need finishing.

Happy thanksgiving!