Monday, March 5, 2012

What a weekend...

I want to start this post today by saying my heart goes out to all those effected by the tornadoes and storms Friday night.  I am just amazed by the power of the wind.  I just can't imagine how scared those folks where.  Luckily we escaped it but I can't stop thinking about those who were not so lucky.  In fact, it breaks my heart.

Needless to say since the weather turned scary I did not make it to the stitch-in as planned.  I stayed home with the pup.  I was glued to the TV with a bag packed in case we needed to seek shelter in the neighbor's basement.

Our house only has a crawl space and I DO NOT DO SPIDERS!!!!  So even in an emergency you will not get me down there.  I'd go to the hallway bath tub if I couldn't make it next door.  Thankfully we didn't need to go anywhere.  Whew!

***
Inside the museum

Saturday I did go to the Lebanon Quilt Show after my annual mammo-smoosh.  I figured I'd treat myself to an outing of fun after getting the "have to" event of the day out of the way.  It really wasn't that bad.  Thank goodness for digital technology!

Tulip kit quilt

So anyway, back to the quilt show.  I got there fairly early and the place was already packed with happy quilters and I even saw a few supportive dudes trailing behind their ladies.  I love that!  Yes, if mine hadn't been working he'd have gone with me.  He's supportive like that too.  His buddies have a field day with it though.  LOL!

Pomegranate and Rose Quilt c. 1850-60

I took a few pictures of my favorite quilts and of course there was new stash to be had!  I bought a couple fat quarters, some mini buttons, a bodkin, and some John James needles.

New Stash!

I also found a vendor that sold individual collectible buttons!  I decided I couldn't show up to our button book class with Sherri Jones on Sunday without a few buttons. It would be like showing up to a cookie exchange with store bought Fig Newtons or Oreos. Not the same! So I can now feel like I have something to show.

This vendor said she goes to button auctions and buys bagged lots.  She said once she gets them home she separates them out by kind.  She and her husband are retirees and they do shows for fun.  Love that!

We had a super nice visit and I promised I'd come see them at a local antiques fair this summer.  I hope to bring my button brag book with me to show them.  I think they were getting a kick out of me being so excited over their buttons.

Kind of craptastic picture of the glass ones I bought.

***

Speaking of, I'm really looking forward to my weekend with Sherri.  I just know Jenny and I are going to have a ball.  It will be good to get away to spend time with other stitchers and one of my best peeps!

Of course she and I will have tales to tell when we get back.  You can count on pictures and most likely a blog post from both of us.  I bet Jenny will even finish her piece.  She's a diligent focused stitcher like that.  Me, well who knows!

***

I hope everyone's week is off to a roaring start.  I have a finish to show you but I'll save it for another post.  Yep, pick yourselves up off the floor.  I really did stitch something from start to finish this weekend.  I know, shock of the world isn't it?!  LOL!  Thanks for stopping by today.


More later,

The Inspired Stitcher

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Loved seeing your photos of the quilt show, Lisa. I had planned to go with a friend, but then our son called and asked us to babysit our 17-month old grandson for a few days. How could we say no?

Hope to see you at the next guild stitch-in.

Margaret said...

Great pics of the quilt show! So glad you are safe and didn't have to stir from the house. I love those buttons! Looking forward to hearing about your class with Sherri!

Carol said...

So good to hear you were spared any tornado damage... the pictures of the damaged areas are so shocking! I can't imagine having your life so changed in an instant!

Lovely quilts at the show--and the buttons are so cute. It's funny how the little things in life (literally) can bring us such pleasure, isn't it?

geeky Heather said...

Glad the storms didn't throw any damage your way!! Great buttons. There was a button vendor at the last Stitches and I could have walked away with half the stall. Can't wait to see the finish! =)

Cathy B said...

Glad you didn't need to seek shelter!
Beautiful quilts and cool buttons!