Today is Memorial Day in the United States. It's a day set aside to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice and/or loved ones who have passed on.
Several years ago I visited Normandy Cemetery in Colleville-sur Mer, France. The cemetery sits on a cliff overlooking Omaha Beach and the English Channel. I was with my brother who was military at that time stationed in Europe. Let me just say I've never had such a humbling experience before or since. I often think of that visit around this time of year.
In my family on Memorial Day, we have a tradition of taking flowers to the cemeteries where our loved ones are buried. It is also the unofficial beginning of the summer season.
When I lived at home, after we got back from delivering the flowers, my dad would put the Indy 500 on the radio and fire up the grill. We would all hang out together in the backyard, tell family stories, and remember good times.
Some things stay the same in my world. This weekend we had the race on television, we grilled out and we spent time together in remembrance.
Thank you to all the veterans who have served and are currently serving. We wouldn't have the freedoms we do with out you and for that I'm am grateful.
Until next time,
The Inspired Stitcher

2 comments:
What a beautiful family day you spent with your loved ones. Yes we have much to be thankful for.
Good to hear you had a wonderful day! We visited Colville in january and being there you can only be quiet and remember where our freedom came from. There are several other big gravyards in normandy, like the one of the canadians and even that of the Germans. It always brings tears in my eyes to go to such places: such a waste of young lifes.
Post a Comment