Monday, May 14, 2012

A One Woman Retreat

You know what they say about the best laid plans...well that's how my Friday went.  My honey and I were supposed to go south for a weekend getaway and our plans fell through.  Since I'd worked through my lunches, came in early and stayed late several days last week I ended up having enough time built up to take the day off.  Since I really wasn't planning on being in town anyway, I made the best of it.


Does this place look familiar?  It should!  It's where the LNS holds it's annual retreat.  The difference is there's no snow on the ground in this picture!  I decided to escape to the local state park's lodge and stitch the afternoon away!


Here's the view of the lake this time of year.  Isn't it just so pretty!



I can't show you the front of what I'm working on here because one of my readers will see it and it's a surprise.  However, I don't mind showing you a bit of the back and the "nest" I made sitting there by the fireplace.

What a Cut Up! freebie from The Dandy Hare blog

I did get another project moving along again while I was there too.  Remember this one from the WIP list at the beginning of the year?  What got me to thinking about this one was Carol's post over at Stitching Dreams. She stitched hers over 2 and made it into a super cute pincushion. This made me remember mine in my WIP bag. So out it came and off to the woods it went with me.


I decided since the light was nice and bright I'd frog the border where I was off count.  Now I can't decide if I want to put it back in or do something else.  I'm also percolating on how I'm going to finish this little sweetie.  What do you all think?

I have to say it really felt good to just escape for a while and stitch uninterrupted.  I could have stayed home and worked on house chores but I'm really glad I didn't.


When I did go home I took Miss Shelby for a good long walk in town.  Here's a recent picture of her.  She's getting to be a big girl now.  I read that Dalmatians grow up the first year and out the second and third year.  I can tell you for sure she's all legs at this point!  She's also loosing her milk teeth.  She lost three of her fangs just this past weekend.  My furbaby is growing up!

Thanks for stopping by for a visit today and if you get the chance, I highly encourage you to take yourself a one woman (or man) retreat somewhere.  You don't have to go far to reap the benefits!

Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

13 comments:

Laura said...

What a great way to spend the day! I am glad you did not stay home and do chores too! Shelby looks like a total sweetheart.

Margaret said...

Sounds like a great day to me! Love seeing where you stitched away and what you were stitching on. Love seeing little Shelby too. She really is growing!

carol fun said...

Great way to spend a day! Love the bunny freebie and Carol's finishing was wonderful - thanks for the inspiration!

Stitching Noni said...

Well done you! What a wonderful way to spend the day :o)
Miss Shelby is gorgeous - don't they grow up quick?
I like the bunny without the border.. but I guess it probably will depend on what the final finish will be...
Look forward to seeing what you do.

http://firefliescatsinthegarden.blogspot.com/

Giovanna said...

It's definitely good to have a stitching break - though mine are always multi-woman :-)

Shirlee said...

What a wonderful one-woman retreat! I am filled with envy : ) That place (the setting anyway) almost reminds me of a place in Bemidji where I went on a spinning (with wool) retreat once in the late 90s. It was very special & I thank you for stirring up that memory : )

Lisa S said...

What a wonderful place for your one woman retreat! Wonderful stitching my friend.

Shelby-gator is so adorable and is certainly growing up! LOL

BrendaS said...

What a great way to spend the day:) Looks wonderful!

Carol said...

When life hands you lemons... You certainly made lemonade out of the situation!! I think a one-woman retreat is perfect--everyone needs some good alone time now and then...

Thanks for your sweet comments on my bunny finish--it is probably one of my favorites. I'm sure you'll come up with something cute, too!

Vickie said...

Great idea. Sweet puppy. :)

Anne said...

Looks like it was a great mini retreat for you with your stitching and iPod!! Lovely little stitches you are making!! I loved Carol's bunny finish! Cant wait to see yours! Your little furbaby is adorable :D

Brigitte said...

What a great idea to do such a one-woman-stitching-retreat. And you seem to have enjoyed it thoroughly.

Patricia Lessell said...

Your stitching is absolutely amazing and I love the back of what you are stitching. It looks like a Shepherd's Bush but I could be wrong as I so often am. I love the rabbit but then again I always love Rabbits and that hare is so gorgeous I'm going to go and get myself a copy of the chart. Thank you so much for sharing.
Lots of Love

Patti xxx