Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Vacation - Day 1 & 2

I'm back as promised with pictures and tales to tell.  We left on Labor Day, in the rain we so desperately needed, and drove as far as we could which ended up being Syracuse, New York, and spent the night.
 
We got up the next morning and did a little shopping.  He went to the Harley store and I went here!  A Stitcher's Garden in Fayetteville, NY (just outside the Syracuse beltway).
 
A Stitcher's Garden - Fayetteville, NY
 
 
 
What a great shop this is!  A great selection of charts, fabric and surprisingly, wool!  Too bad I couldn't remember what colors I needed. I wasn't expecting to find that in a stitch shop.
 
 
We arrived just as the shop was opening and I spent a good hour or so browsing around.  I had a nice visit with the owner while I was shopping. She told me she does a retreat in the spring! Another road trip? Hmm...maybe!
 
Here's the stash that came home with me from this stop.  I found a couple things that have been on my wish list for a while now. Bonus!

***

While I was inside shopping my honey was outside plotting our course for the next leg of the adventure!

When we planned our vacation we wanted to have things we both wanted to see and things each of us wanted to see.  The next stop was one that had been on both our bucket lists and we didn't know it... the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum!

Baseball Hall of Fame - Cooperstown, NY
 
Most folks probably don't know this about me but I'm a Cincinnati Reds fan from way back.  Actually since I was a kid.  It was something my Grandpa and I did together.  I can still see his old brown leather recliner chair sitting next to the bookcase where his transistor radio sat.  I'd climb up into the chair with him and we'd listen to the Reds on the radio.  Sweet, sweet memories!

I've always wanted to go the the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.  It wasn't high on my list but it was there.  Recently I found out it was on my honey's list too.  So it was a given that we had to go visit.  If only my grandpa was still alive...he would have loved this place!

Pete Rose's jersey exhibit

Now folks, don't judge me here, I know Pete Rose gambled on baseball and all that.  Yes, we all make poor choices sometimes but you can't take his accomplishment of "Hit King" away from him no matter what.  This sight made me cry!  Yes, real tears as in "streaming down my face" tears.  To think that someone felt that accomplishment worthy of a display case just grabbed me by the heart.  My honey asked me if I was going to be able to pull myself together...I did and it was a fabulous visit!

If you are a baseball fan, this is the holy grail!  You simply must go there!!!  Okay, moving on...

***
 
Our next stop was the Farmer's Museum also in Cooperstown.  I neglected to get many pictures there.  You'll have to click the link to see more.  I think I was still reeling from the previous stop.  LOL!
 
Cardiff Giant
 
We did see the Cardiff Giant.  I saw a story about it on History Detectives one night.  We also got to see a blacksmith forging a pair of shears/scissors!  I really should have taken a picture of that too!
 
***
 
Once we left there we headed south to find a place to stay for the night that was close to our next stop.  I'll give you a hint, it was in the Philadelphia area!  As you can tell we road trip by the seat of our pants.  We never have a set place to be on a certain day or even a reservation.  It's fun and we see some pretty interesting things that way.  LOL!
 
I think I'll wrap this up for today as it's getting a bit lengthy.  You'll just have to come back again to see what else we got into!  Thanks for visiting with me today!
 
 
More later,
 
The Inspired Stitcher

6 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh what fun! And what a great way to plan your vacation too -- something for both of you! Love seeing all the pics!

ROSELLA69 said...

Bellissima vacanza,in particolare,gli acquisti fatti,A stitcher's garden,un 'ambiente davvero magico,ciao un abbraccio da Rosella.

Giovanna said...

Looks like a great time away - glad you had fun :-)

Carol said...

What a great trip! I have never been to the Baseball Hall of Fame and I even grew up in New York State!! Looks like a very interesting museum... Looking forward to seeing your Philadelphia area photos (another place I've never visited and yet I've lived in western PA for 35 years!!)... I think I need to get out more :)

geeky Heather said...

Looks like a good stash haul. =)

I'm so glad you put the picture of the Cardiff giant in!! I was fascinated by this as a kid, how people could be taken in by the hoax, but I'd only ever seen line drawings of the giant. Too cool. =)

Andrea said...

What a great vacation you're on. I like that you cried at the Pete Rose jersey exhibit...I don't know much about baseball, but know he was an amazing player, and like you say, everyone makes mistakes.