We didn't actually have any set plans for this day so we decided to see what we could get into. After consulting the map, (yes and old school paper map) we set off for Frederick Vanderbilt's Mansion! This home is part of the National Park Service and was donated by a family member for $1 after the urging of their neighbor, Franklin D. Roosevelt.
We got in on the 10 am tour. Wow, what a place to see. I tried taking pictures of the interior but they came out pretty dark since it was dimly lit. We learned this home was owned by the "frugal" Vanderbilt child. Seriously?!
This is the back porch! It's amazing. Can you even imagine?! I can't!
This is the view of the Hudson River from the back porch! At one time the Vanderbilt family owned this entire valley as far as the eye could see! This sure was an interesting place to visit. I'm so glad we stumbled upon it.
After we left the mansion, we headed over to Deer Hill Farm Cross Stitching. A huge shout out with thanks goes to Margaret for recommending this treasure trove to me! Oh. My. Goodness! It didn't look like much from the outside but the inside was a completely different story!
This is the front of the store! I barely got two feet in the door and was in pure heaven! Iswear they have every single bead Mill Hill makes as well as a plethora of stitching gadgets.
This one of many walls of floss! Just look at those juicy colors just begging to be turned into something breath taking. I could have spent several hours in here pawing through all the charts and fabrics too.
This shop is one of the better ones in my opinion. It's probably a good thing I don't live closer because I could get into some serious trouble if I had more time. LOL! Thanks again Margaret! You are one lucky girl to live close enough to visit this one.
After leaving the cross stitch shop, we had lunch at the Eveready Diner. My honey saw it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Guy Fieri recommended the mac and cheese so that's what I had. Yep, it was as good as it looked on TV. Yum!
Since we had plenty of afternoon left, we went for a drive to Woodstock Harley so my honey could collect his T-shirt. That's the deal with the two of us, he collects Harley shirts and I collect stash. We both go home happy. It's worked for us for the past 16 years!
***
Again, this post has gotten way longer than I thought it would. I'll come back tomorrow and finish up my trip tales. I hope you enjoyed what you've read so far. It's been fun reliving it though these posts. Thanks again for stopping by.
More later,
The Inspired Stitcher
4 comments:
So glad you enjoyed Deer Hill Farm! I tend to forget about it, I have to admit. I need to go up there to stock up on some fibers, methinks. And then of course I'll get into trouble looking for those unexpected treasures. lolol! That Vanderbilt house is pretty spectacular! You should have seen the Vanderbilt mansion in Newport, RI. Enormous!!!! So yeah, maybe this Vanderbilt was the frugal one. lol!
What a lovely mansion. You sure got to visit some great places on your trip. Beautiful mansion, oh my love that strawberry scissor case you picked up. So cute. How fun to get stop and eat what Guy on TV recommended. Again I loved your post Lisa, every photo. Great finds!
love Annette
Good for you finding that chart you wanted for so long, in the discount bin! That's the best!!
Wow! Those Vanderbilts were really something--what an estate! We are going to visit the Biltmore in October in NC and I can't wait :)
And what a find, Lisa! And in the discount bin no less--I don't blame you for buying the floss and getting started right away :)
Post a Comment