Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Progress and anticipation

Have you ever started stitching with a color and it just didn't flip your skirt?  Well that happened to me recently on the Quaker Scissor Case project.  I was buzzing along and started stitching the red part.   For some reason the called for floss just wasn't doing it for me.  I think more than anything it was the particular dye lot I had on hand that was the issue.


You see, the dye lot I have has a lot of dark purple in it.  The more I stitched, the more purple I saw.  I really wasn't going for purple tulips!  So when my honey suggested we road trip into the capitol city to celebrate our birthdays, I knew exactly where I wanted to stop.  A trip to Cross My Heart would solve my problem just fine!


I was able to find just the perfect-for-me shade of red to do my tulips.  I had several contenders but in the end it was WDW Baked Apple that won!  I really like the way it looks and those tulips are a joy to stitch.


Here's where I stand as of last night, pardon the wrinkles.  I'm getting there!  This is one of those projects that I'm having a hard time putting down.  I find myself wanting to only work on this.  I plan to give it a good go this weekend.  More about that in a minute.


Of course you know you can't go to a stitch shop without some stash enhancement.  You all know that, right?  Well, here's what came home with me! I couldn't resist that gingham chart.  I think it was the turkey that got me.  Then I found the perfect fabric to use on an exchange that's coming up along with some needed floss.


Here's a better look at the floss toss.  Not all of these will be used in the same project.  Truth be told, there's floss for about three different projects there.  Two of them are exchanges so you'll see them later.

While I was in the shop I heard lots of chatter coming from the back room.  As I moseyed my way around to the back I looked in to see my friend, Nancy!  (Waves to Nancy)  She reads the blog faithfully she tells me.

They were having a stitch-in!  If I didn't have my honey patiently waiting out in the car, I would have sat down to join them.  As it turned out I had a nice visit with Nancy and all the ladies.  I also got to meet the shop dog, Romeo.  He's a cutie pie beagle.  Yes, I got the sniff-over when I got home.  LOL!

I'll be seeing Nancy in a couple days too.  The LNS is having it's annual retreat this weekend.  I'm really getting excited.  Lists are getting checked off, the bag is getting packed, and soon I'll be there!  I promise to bring you a full report next week.  Yes, there will be more stash enhancement!

Well folks, I guess I'd better get on with it today. I hope you are having a good week so far!  I'm thankful mine is going to be a short one.  Thanks for hanging out with me.  Have a great day!

More later,

The Inspired Stitcher

19 comments:

Ellen said...

You are really moving along with this project. I'll be anxious to see it in person.

Sounds like you had a great trip to Columbus....but I think you have a good time wherever you go...right?

Annette-California said...

Quaker scissor case is beautiful. Red baked apple looks pretty. Yes even I changed a color because in my case I didn't have it at the time:) Have a fabulous time this weekend. Looking forward to your report when you get back :))))) Lovely new stash.
love Annette

Peggy Lee said...

I like the Baked Apple better too.
Great stash enhancement! There's nothing more beautiful than a pile of threads just waiting for linens.

~hugs

Adria said...

Tried to contact designer of case. Did not get an answer. It is so beautiful. Where did you get the chart. It is something I would love to add to my stitching que.

Margaret said...

Love how the Quaker scissor case is coming. Love seeing the stash too! Have fun at the retreat!

Marilyn said...

I think the Baked Apple looks much better too. The other is too purpley. :)
Great progress on it.
Have fun this weekend, and we will all be waiting for a stash report!
Marilyn

Laurie in Iowa said...

The Baked Apple was the perfect choice. Enjoy your retreat.

Judy said...

Much better choice for the red. Will look forward to the finish! I thought about coming to this retreat--as Barb talked to me about it. I am not a fan of travel in the winter so sadly decided not to attend. I will be thinking of you while you are there! Enjoy (like I even have to say that!!)

Judy heartland stitcher

Faye said...

It is coming along wonderfully!!!! For those who at contact you, I have tried(many times) to reach Barbara.... Cannot find her....she's in retirement.... She would be so proud to see this beautiful Quaker Pocket!!!!! Nice job..... Faye

Maggee said...

Your Quaker piece is coming along very nicely. The new red works with the rest of the piece so well--it was a good choice! Have fun at your retreat this weekend! More stash...Fun!

Siobhán said...

I love how your Quaker piece is turning out! Good for you for listening to your inner voice and changing out the color. Baked Apple is one of my favorite reds. Enjoy your retreat!

Nan said...

Youre quaker piece is lovely. Can't wait to see you this weekend and enjoy a little stash enchancement myself :0)

Nan said...

Youre quaker piece is lovely. Can't wait to see you this weekend and enjoy a little stash enchancement myself :0)

Carol said...

I'm glad you made the color change before you got too far into the piece, Lisa--it really is lovely! Nice new stash as well--isn't it fun?

Annie said...

So lovely Quaker scissors case!
I too, very much like the change you made to the floss:)
It will be fun to see the progress later on.(I have the chart but can never seem to get around to it)

I wish you so very much fun and joy on your visit to the retreat:)
Oh! have some fun for me too!LOL
Looking forward to hear about your adventures.
Hugs and take care,
Anette and Skruttan

Dirty Martini Queen said...

Have fun this weekend
Donna

Giovanna said...

That's going to be such a lovely piece - the colours are gorgeous. Nice stash! Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hello

just found your blog.
Your stitching is looking lovely and what fantastic stash.
Happy weekend.

Nicola said...

Baked apple looked as scrumptious as its name.