Ever have a burst of creativity when you least expect it? Well, that happened to me last night. I was rooting around in my stash for something else and ran across some wooden thread spools I'd saved from my Granny's sewing basket. Then it hit me! Check this out.
A little back story, I had stitched this heart at Stitchaway for a covered button scissor fob. Only I cut the fabric too small and it wouldn't work. Of course, I couldn't throw it away since my peep,
Marsha gave me the pretty red silk floss to stitch it. So there it sat in my stash.
Then I saw the spools! Ah-ha! I knew instantly what I wanted to do with this tiny piece of stitchery. I'd turn it into a small make-do pincushion on top of one of my Granny's spools. This little cutie only stands about 1 1/2 inches tall or about 4 cm.
To hide where I attached it to the top of the spool, I twisted up some DMC that matched the silk and glued it in place. Ta-da! A special little pincushion was born. It's special to me because Marsha gave me the silk and I reused my dearly departed Granny's spool to combine into a cute place to park my needles!
So there you have it! I just had to share my little brainstorm with you in hopes it might inspired you to try this with some little bit of stitchery you've got hanging around. This would make a great gift for a stitching buddy. Hmm...I may have just come up with another idea! LOL!
Thanks for stopping by for a visit!
Until next time,
The Inspired Stitcher
P.S. Just for fun, if you are interested in learning more about old wooden spools, here are a couple good links to go check out:
Thread Spool Sizes and Shapes chart
Vintage Thread Chart
Thread labels (there are three pages so click next at the bottom of the page)
14 comments:
Well done, Lisa! Your pin cushion turned out super cute!
Smart thinking! It's a really cute pincushion.
That's so great! I love it! Very clever -- and it's so pretty!
What a fabulous idea! Thanks for the links as well! Enjoy your new pin spool!
Robin in Virginia
So cute and very creative of you!
Thanks for the links.
Very cute idea for your treasured spool. Thanks for sharing the links also.
Judy heartland stitcher
A nice idea. I have a clear glass vase full of wooden spools that I have saved for many years. I may have to try this ...thank you for sharing.
What a cute little pincushion!
Marilyn
Such a cute idea, Lisa--and you'll have a nice remembrance of your grandmother sitting right beside you as you stitch :)
Very cute & creative idea!
WOW! Darling darling pincushion. Fab idea & great save:)
love Annette
Super adorable little pincushion! I love teeny tiny things! Well done!
ooooooooooo nice brain storm .... and I have some wee spools that could be perfect for a little pin cushion :) love mouse xxxxx
Fantastic idea - well done :)
Post a Comment