The show is held in the old Lebanon post office building which adjoins the Warren County History Center Museum pictured above. Both are wonderful old historic buildings in downtown Lebanon, Ohio.
Here is one of the prize winning quilts on display that caught my eye.
This one was my favorite. Love the way those colors sparkle on that black background!
In addition to quilts there are plenty of vendors to tempt you too. Here's a picture of some of the vendors as seen from the mezzanine inside the museum. This is where I found the second treat of the day and I'd have to say the best part of the day too!
The History Center Museum houses Sue Studebaker's antique sampler collection. Sue wrote the book Ohio Is My Dwelling Place and Ohio Samplers: Schoolgirl Embroideries 1803-1850. (Both books can be found at the Museum's gift shop as well as on Amazon.)
Before her passing, Sue worked with the Warren County Historical Society for several years teaching antique study courses and volunteering as a curator for special exhibitions as well as writing these two wonderful books.
The museum has some of Sue's samplers on display thanks in part to our guild's philanthropy. It was so fun to see our guild acknowledged in two different display cases today! Let's look at some of the samplers closer!
Here's a look at one of the displays. I love the smalls. I'll apologise in advance for the glare on some of the photos. It was hard to get a good picture due to the lighting and I was using my iPhone. I don't think you'll mind though!
Here's Lydia (Harvey?). I love the Berlin work style flowers in this one.
Nancy Irwin, 1834.
This sampler is shown on page 90-91 of Ohio Is My Dwelling Place and page 29 of Ohio Samplers: Schoolgirl Embroideries 1803-1850 . The book tells us she was seventeen when she completed this sampler.
Notice the steamboat on her sampler, the Irwin family arrived in Cincinnati sometime before 1793 and soon made their way to Lemon Township, Butler County. Records show the family eventually included 14 children. Love that border and of course, the steamboat!
Esther Ann Brown, 1832.
10 years old from Waynesville, Ohio.
10 years old from Waynesville, Ohio.
I love that top alphabet!
Martha Sellers, 1838.
12 years old Warren County, OH
12 years old Warren County, OH
" Let no fond love of earth exact a sigh
No doubts divert our steady steps aside
Nor let us long to live nor dread to die
Heaven is our hope and providence our guide"
Margaret
C Taylor.
There was no card for this one and I can't find her in
either book. I love the oversize trees and the basket of flowers.
That ivy vine border is pretty nice too!
Rachael Rakestraw, 1815
Motto
"Small treasure to a resign'd mind
sufficient How happy it is to be
content with a little to live in humility
and feel that in us which breaths out
this language abba __ father"
This one feels Quaker to me for some reason. I like the verse!
Sarah Rawlins, 1774
Ten Commandments
"Thou shalt have no more Gods but me
Before no Idol bow thy Knee
Take not the Name of God in vain
Nor dare the Sabbath Day profane
Give both thy Parents Honour due
Take heed that thou no Murder do
Abstain from Words and deeds unclean
Nor steal tho thou art poor and mean
Nor make a wilful Lye nor love it
What is thy Neighbours do not covet"
The
exhibit card says this sampler was used as packing in a button box
shipment from England. This is just the best rendition of the Ten Commandments I've ever read! I would totally stitch this one.
Sarah Ross, 1806.
The sign says "Sarah Ross was born to Dr. and Mrs. John Ross of Chester County, PA in 1795. The family moved to Lebanon where she met and married Thomas Corwin. Sarah was raised a Quaker, but became a Baptist after marriage. Mrs. Corwin lived the remainder of her life in Lebanon as a dedicated mother and wife, while Thomas Corwin served as the Governor of Ohio, United States Congressman."
Rhonda J Warwick, 1850.
"Twill save us from a thousand snares
To mind religion young
Grace will preserve our following years
And make our virtue strong"
This sampler can be seen on page 260 of Ohio Is My Dwelling Place and you can read about her on page 259. The book tells us Rhoda Jane Warwick was born on January 21, 1833, and was the daughter of Josiah and Clarissa (Wood) Warwick of Warren County. The young couple first resided in neighboring Butler County for several years but had moved to Warren County by the time Rhoda worked this sampler. She was almost eighteen at the time. This is my absolute favorite of all of them!
I didn't get pictures of all of the samplers, just the ones that caught my eye. If you find yourself near Lebanon, Ohio, I strongly encourage you to visit the museum and see these beauties in person.** If you can't get to the museum, see if you can find a copy of either of the fore mentioned books. They are wonderful!
I am so grateful to Sue Studebaker for preserving these treasures and researching so many of them. I'm also pleased our guild chose to help support the care of these wonderful samplers and that the Warren County History Center is displaying them for all to see!
I hope you've enjoyed seeing the exhibit with me today. Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit!
Until next time,
The Inspired Stitcher
**EDITED: I found out after writing this post that the School Girl Samplers of Warren County Ohio exhibit will be on display through this summer!
18 comments:
Absolutely outstanding. Such remarkable samplers - I have enjoyed everyone you shared with us. I am so surprised to see the Berlin work influence in more than a few of the samplers. I am going to read this post again for a 3rd time:) Love it all Lisa. love Annette
Thanks Lisa I just ordered Ohio is my Dwelling Place by Sue. I look forward to reading her book.
love Annette
Thank you so much for taking the time to share, I have really enjoyed looking.
Thanks for sharing all of the pics, they're beautful.
How nice that you have a museum like that close by.
It amazes me how young these girls were when they stitched these big samplers.
Marilyn
Wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing.
I love going to Lebanon. Might have something to do with being an Ohio gal myself.
Sue Studebaker was a marvelous woman.
I know her good works will be appreciated forever.
Oh My!!!! I know I will be going back through this post many, many times.
Thanks so much for sharing and I'll take a picture with a little glare on it any day than have no pictures at all.
I'm off to drool some more.
~hugs
Wow! I can see why it is your favorite, it might be mine too. Can you imagine using that a packing for a button box!! What?!
Wow... looks like you had a great day. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.
I love seeing all those samplers! Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us!
Very neat post!!!
I'm not surprised Rhonda Warwick was your favorite. :o)
Thank you for sharing your visit! I love Amanda and Esther. They're all wonderful and I enjoyed the tour.
What a beautiful sampler exhibit!
Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures - what beautiful treasures!
Oh! so lovely lovely!
Any photos will do great, on these important stitching matters:):)
I think you have taken fabulous photos and also to include the verses and provinence. I am so in love with Rhonda too, what a sweet berlin influence.
The quilts are also so beautiful, wow what amount of work to put those together.
(and you & me have dragging our quilt projects..hm LOL:)
Thanks Lisa for a wonderful post, will read many times(and drool:)
Hugs from
Anette & Skruttan
Fabulous post!! Thank you for sharing you trip. Amazing samplers--I can only imagine seeing them in person. Is this display always there or only for a time frame? I know of nothing like this in my area. Another reason for a trip to Ohio!
Judy heartland stitcher
You must have been so excited to see these samplers, lucky you! Thank you for showing us;)
What a treat to see those awesome quilts and treasured samplers, Lisa! Such labors of love all in one place must have been a wonderful sight :) Thanks for sharing!!
Post a Comment