Design: "S" from "Peter Rabbit ABC's"
Designer: Green Apple Co.
Fabric: 40ct. antique white (1 over 2)
Floss: DMC as charted
Started: 8/26/13
Finished: 8/31/13
Completed: 9/4/13
Here's the side view. I chose to do an flat fold easel and used 30s repro fabric. Have you guessed who the recipient was yet? If you guessed Susan Branch, you are right!!! Yes, THE Susan Branch! Seriously! I'm not even kidding you.
Here's the story, some of you know I'm a huge Susan Branch fan. I have been since her very first book way back in the 80's. I absolutely love her writing style and her watercolor illustrations. They remind me of my grandfather's work I've been reading her blog from day one and have gotten her "Willard" newsletter for years.
From reading her books and blog, I know she is a huge Beatrix Potter fan and loves anything Peter Rabbit. I've had the book this design came from for a couple years now. I thought of Susan when I found it. When I learned her current book tour would be coming close to me and I would actually get to meet her in person, I had to stitch this up for her as a thank you for all the hours spent reading and re-reading her lovely books! Yes, I'm a total fan or as she calls us "girlfriends."
She and her husband Joe went on a dream trip to England for two months. They sailed on the Queen Mary 2 to get there. The whole time she kept a diary and wrote blog posts about it. When she got home she turned them into a book called "A Fine Romance: Falling in love with the English Countryside." I've been following the book's progress on her blog.
So on Thursday afternoon, I jumped into the car and off I went to meet one of my inspirations! I was so excited and nervous at the same time. Would it be inappropriate to bring my gift? I hoped not!
I met up with two of the sweetest ladies who are also Susan's "girlfriends." We met each other on the sidewalk and instantly became buddies for the evening (waves to Connie and Linda). Connie took this picture of me by the sign with my book. We were waiting for Susan and her husband, Joe to arrive!
Here they are! In the "Fine Romance" van. It's not hard to spot them driving this van. LOL!
Here they are together. Aren't they just the sweetest couple?! Susan's reading the sign above the door.
Here she is signing books for the ladies in front of me. I'm so close to meeting her I can hardly stand it!
Here it is, my turn! I gave her the gift and as you can see from the look on her face, she loved it!
She told me it is going in her "Peter Rabbit" room when she gets home. I had that in mind when I picked the blue 30s repro fabric. One of the first things she noticed was my tiny initials and that blue fabric. She said she loved it! I couldn't have been happier! Did you know she designs fabric too? Such talent!
See the splotches of paint to the left, that's the bookmark she gave us. She cut her doodle pages into bookmarks to share with us. I have an actual bit of her painting now in bookmark form. The very best part of it all was what she wrote in my book and knowing that yes, the gift was appropriate and well received. Now that sent me to Cloud 9!
I never in a million years would I have thought I would get to meet her much less stitch for her. I couldn't quit smiling from ear to ear! It was like I was in a dream except there were about 70 of us living the same dream all together in the same place. She kept squeezing my hand and smiling from ear to ear just like I was. What a special moment we shared!
When I finally left the bookstore, the sun was just setting. It filled the sky with the most yummiest of sherbet colors and I floated home on a cloud! Dreams do come true!
Until next time,
The Inspired Stitcher

19 comments:
Well that is surely a day to remember. You are a true fan to give her your beautiful handmade gift!
I seriously just died and you know why! Ohmygosh, such a sweet and thoughtful gift, how wonderful of you to do that for her!
Ok, that is just sooooooo cooool! I'm so glad you got to meet Susan and give her that wonderful piece you stitched for her! Wow!!
Sounds like you had an amazing time. I'm glad she was so pleased with the gift you stitched her.
Really, really neat Lisa! Good for you. =)
How wonderful for you - both of you are very special ladies :-)
How amazing to meet one of your icons! And to find she is as nice in person.
The Peter Rabbit initial is lovely too, I'm not surprised she liked it.
I am so thrilled for you! I read Susan's blog too and have a couple of her books. She is such a generous hearted soul. What a wonderful day!
WOW - How incredible:) SO cool and I am very happy for you. It's truly special that you gave her your gift in person. Wonderful day you had. Very pretty flat fold you made for her. love Annette
How wonderful you got to meet Susan in person. You must've been Giddy! What a lovely gift you made for her too.
I will have to check out this book!
awwwwww that is lovely and so nice to hear that she is a normal down to earth person and she certainly does love your wee giftie :)
mmmm a stitching mouse next for me ?? heheheh lol love mouse xxxxx
Wow! How wonderful!
What a lovely memory Lisa! I'm so happy for you : )
What a wonderful gift and memory to cherish. I am amazed how much you both look alike in the photo... you could be sisters!
happy stitching...
How wonderful, what a lovely gift
Oh, Lisa! I'm so happy for you!! You were the one who told me about Susan's blog and I've been enjoying it ever since! Your little Peter "S" is so sweet--I'm sure she was very touched by your wonderful gift. And, boy--are you sure you weren't separated at birth--you really do look alike as Karen mentioned!!
So, so happy for you. I love her drawing too.
I can imagine how thrilled you were, and how touched she was by your gift. Great memory to store!
Lisa,
You have the most wonderful excursions!
I have a number of Susan's books and just love them. In fact, a couple of blog posts back I noticed you had a stack of her books in the background. Perhaps that was a hint of your upcoming trip.
If course, Susan loved your gift!! She had to have been extremely moved that you took the time to make something so special for her.
Post a Comment