Don Beld with one of his 9-11 quilts
Next up was a special presentation given by Home of the Brave Quilt Project founder Don Beld. The quilt project was started as Don's response to the tragedies of 9-11. He told us he felt this need to do something. Since he is a quilter, quilting seemed to be the logical choice. He has hand pieced over 2,300 quilts for the families of the fallen. I know there were several times during his talk that I had to choke back the tears. I was not alone. Here are some of the other quilts he shared with us as he told the stories of the families he has served. He said this was the first time all of these quilts were hung in the same room together.
Don told us he wanted to make quilts that were big enough to use. He wanted the recipient to be able to wrap themselves up in it. I have to say that this man has a calling and a gift. His heart is bigger than the sky. It was an honor to hear this very special talk.
Today's post is a short one. I'm still gathering my thoughts from a fun filled weekend. I'll post more about that later. I hope you all had a good weekend too.
The Inspired Stitcher
4 comments:
I am amazed at what he has accomplished. They are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Wow! What an amazing person. His quilts are beautiful!
OMG, I have tears in my eyes and chills down my spine just reading your post. What an amazing person.. the scale of what he has done is mind boggling! The quilts are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this story with us all
Oh, what a special project and a special man. I'm sure his beautiful quilts have offered much comfort to those affected by 9-11 through the years...
Thanks so much for sharing your photos :)
Post a Comment