My long time readers know my husband is a motorcycle enthusiast and by default so am I now. When planning our trip we searched to see what motorcycle related places we could find and saw that Motorcyclopedia Museum was having a Cannonball Run that kicked off on our anniversary! It was a given we had to be there for it no matter what!
For those not familiar with what this is, there are 70 pre1930s motorcycles that are crossing the US in approximately two weeks starting in Newburg, New York and winding up at the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco with riders from 13 different countries!
This is the line up of motorcycles waiting to head out that morning! They are like rolling works of art and history.
Some of them looked a bit questionable as to whether they would make it off the parking lot though. I loved this one's sign "California or bust!"
The rider/owner of this one is from England! We had a great visit with him the night before. He's an old hat at these kinds of rides. He says they do it all the time where he comes from. Love that!
This rider and his wife were from Australia! They both were riding in the race. He at the helm and she in the basket side car! Now that would be fun and I bet I could stitch in there too.
The excitement was growing and you could feel the energy in the crowd that was forming. The size of the crowd finally spilled out into the street and the police had to shut the street down! It was so fun!
Here we are after the riders were on their way and the crowd was dispersing. What a way to celebrate our 16th year together! My honey was in the height of his glory. It always makes me happy to see him happy. I enjoyed being a part of this event too.
After seeing the museum's exhibits we got on the road to head home. There was one more stitch shop I wanted to visit along the way in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania called The Village Stitchery Shop but it was not to be.
As we pulled into the parking lot we saw a hand written sign on the door saying they were closed for vacation. Imagine that?! I laughed so hard. The stitch shop was on vacation on my vacation. Too funny!!! I guess we'll just have to go back sometime.
However all was not lost. On the way through town we passed a building advertising a quilt show! So we turned the car around and went back into town to the Packwood House Museum. Their exhibit is on until October 13th! There were close to 200 antique quilts displayed throughout the Museum. Unfortunately they didn't allow photography. There were certainly several I would have loved to have photographed!
We pulled into our driveway later that night at 11:30pm in the midst of an incredible thunderstorm with lots of lightening and thunder! We left in the rain and we returned in the rain.
We'd traveled a total of 2,077 miles in five days on this trip. It was so good to get away, see some fantastic sights, meet some interesting people and recharge our batteries! Most of all, it was good to get to spend time together.
I recently found this quote that I think pretty much sums up my feelings on travel. I highly recommend it! Getting away from the everyday of life definitely soothes my soul.
***
Thanks for hanging with me through this post even though it really wasn't all that stitchy. I appreciate your visits and I hope you have a great weekend!
Until next time,
The Inspired Stitcher

9 comments:
Ahhh..very nice trip. Nice combo of harley and stash! Now I may have to take a trip to Deer Hill Farms CS, Ha!! You kkep posting about these stitch shops I need to visit!
Thanks for sharing your special trip and anniversary time together.
Judy heartland stitcher
We're home! Enjoyed following your trip. Happy Anniversary to you both!
Sounds like a great trip Lisa. We're on our way home from Tenn. and feel much more relaxed. Can't wait to see you.
Oh what fun! Is there a way to track the motorcyclists to see how they're doing? It would be neat to know whether they all make it or not. Such cool old motorcycles! Nice that you happened upon that quilt exhibit too, especially since the LNS was on vacation on your vacation. :D Great anniversary trip for sure! Happy anniversary!
Loved seeing all your vacation pictures, looks like you both had an amazing time.
Congrats on the anniversary!
It was great to see your vacation memories - glad you found a quilt show to compensate for the closed LNS :-)
I'm so glad you and your husband were able to have such a memorable anniversary trip! Did you plan it together? I can't believe you covered that many miles--wow!!
Sorry the Lewisburg shop was closed, but at least you were able to see those lovely quilts... It's a nice little town there, isn't it? I think my son really misses his time at Bucknell.
ANYWAY--Happy Anniversary to you both :)
Thank you for sharing all these beautiful photos and thoughts!
Wish you and your husband all the best in the world!
Take care,
Anette
ooooo that bike race looked fun... not sure you would be able to stitch in a side car though terribly uncomfortable and small ... wouldn't do to drop your scissors ...lol
glad to hear you had a fab time and you got back safely and had a wonderful anniversary :) watch out for the postie coming tooo :) love mouse xxxxx
Post a Comment