Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Finish and A New Start

I'm back today to share a recent finish and a new start.  This little cutie is something I stitched for a special birthday girl who celebrated a big "0" birthday at the retreat.  We surprised her with a party.  Just imagine 95 women singing Happy Birthday!  It was so fun and she was genuinely surprised too.


This special friend is the one responsible for hooking me on Downton Abbey!  I couldn't resist stitching this for her when I saw this chart on Pinterest.  I customized the colors just for her.  She loves red!


Design: Welcome to Downton freebie
Designer: The Sampler Girl
Fabric:  32 ct. cream
Floss:  DMC
Started:  1/11/14
Finished:  1/12/14
Completed:  1/13/14

This is also my first finish in 2014!  The fabric in the background is what I used on the back.  I may have to stitch this one again for myself in honor of the new Downtown Abbey season.  I just love that show!  Anybody else hooked?

~*~*~*~

 
Design: Snooty Parrots
Designer: Barbara Ana Designs
Fabric: 40 ct. Light Mocha
Floss:  Called for over-dyes
Started:  1/26/14

This is my newest start.  I swore I was not going to do another BAP (Big A$$ Project) or another SAL until I finished the Hornbook.  Um...yeah!  Well, my friends Ellen and Terri sucked me into this one.  This is my progress on the January installment.  I like how the green looks in the vine!

I have to admit I had a terrible time finding fabric for this one.  I checked our LNS with no luck.  I tried the Silver Needle's New Year's Eve day sale with no luck.  I finally tried Needle in a Haystack since I've visited their store and know they have a nice selection of fabric.  Score!

Actually, the called for fabric was sold out there too but thankfully one of the lovely ladies called me to see if she could sub something for me.  I just love personal attention to details like that.  Between the two of us, we came up with the light mocha seen here.  It's just beautiful and I think it will work nicely with some of the lighter colors in the design too.  All's well that ends well!

So you'll be seeing this one fairly regularly this year.  I'm thinking a rotation may be in order to keep me on track.  Wish me luck!

~*~*~*~

Well folks, there you have it.  I'm hoping to make some more progress on this new BAP and the Hornbook this week.  We'll see how that shakes out!  I hope you are having a good week so far.  Thanks for stopping by today!


Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

13 comments:

Chris said...

What a great birthday surprise!!That finish is a treasure.
Your Snooty Parrots start is lovely.

Dirty Martini Queen said...

If there was a support group for Downton watchers I'd have to be first in line. It's true, I didn't start watching it until I bought the dvds for our move to Germany because so many people watched it so I figured what the hey. Well now I'm so hooked that I dvr the current season and watch them at least twice before I delete them and that's in addition to watching it air on Sunday.
And the snooty parrot looks like you are off to a fine start.
Donna

geeky Heather said...

Very cute!! We're totally hooked, too. Unfortunately, our local PBS station doesn't show the episodes until about a month after most of the country gets it. We generally get frustrated and buy the BluRay when it's available...the advantage is that Iit contains the uncut British version and we get to see the Christmas episode before it's broadcast. =)

Jan said...

Congrats on your first finish of 2014! I use to be a Downton Abby fan and watched the first 2 seasons. I moved and lost track of the show. I'm loving the border on Snooty Parrots.

I love Needle in a Haystack! They're my on-line go to shop when ever I need fabric or thread. I have one LNS in the city I live; A tiny little hole-in-the-wall that never seems to come through when I try to special order from them.

Carol said...

I'm another Downton fan, Lisa! In fact I just got my DVD of Season 4 in the mail yesterday from Amazon. Looking forward to settling in with it next week when my husband is out of town :)

Your finish is so cute and I know you'll love stitching that beautiful Snooty Parrot design...

Stay warm out there--February is almost here and perhaps Mother Nature will give us a break :)

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations on your latest finish, Lisa! Your Snooty Parrot piece is off to a good start.

Stay warm!

Robin in Virginia

Annie said...

Your Downtown piece is so nicely stitched and finished. I can never stuff those things so perfectly! What a treat for your friend.

I have used incredible self-control in not joining that SAL. I wanted to do it, but in my heart, I knew I could never keep up. Good start and a very nice fabric choice.

Peggy Lee said...

What a sweet birthday surprise for your friend! I became hooked on Downton Abbey when I saw everyone making such a fuss about it in blogs. I remember watching the first episode thinking, "I can't watch this, I don't understand a word they are saying!" Needless to say, I get it now!
Love the border on your new start.

Margaret said...

Love your first finish! Of course I love Downton too. lol! Great birthday present for sure! Love your start on Snooty Parrots too!

denise said...

the downton abby freebie is next on my list! i'm hooked,too!!

Maggee said...

oh Yes! I am a Downton Abbey fan! I watched Larkrise at Candleford and ALL the Jane Austen movies. Love that type movie! Engaging! Your DA piece is so cute! Nicely done! have fun with Snooty Parrot. Not getting into that one... Hugs!

Judy said...

I must confess, I am a Downton Abbey fan. I've watched from the beginning. I also watch another one (I cannot think of the name right now..Mr something--runs a big department store) It is just as good. Cute finish on the little pillow.

Don't know what fabric your Snooty Parrots called for, but this fabric looks beautiful with these colors so far. Very nice.

Judy heartland stitcher

Andrea said...

A lovely birthday gift. Your start on the Snooty Parrot (great name!) piece is lovely. Looking forward to seeing more of this.