Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Book Review: Floral Stitches

I've been going through books lately looking for inspiration for my tote bag band.  When I first learned to stitch I only did plain cross stitch.  This time when I picked it back up I decided to get over my fear of linen.  One of my very first linen projects what a class piece that involved a lot of specialty stitches.  Because of that I acquired several books to help me learn.

 

In the last week I became aware of this book by Judith Baker Montano.  It's the perfect book to reference for my tote bag band's freestyle stitching!  I found my copy on Amazon but I'm sure it's probably in library circulation too.

 

What I like most about it is that it has pictures of the actual flower and drawings with stitch suggestions on the opposite page.  I like that it tells you what specialty stitches to put together to get a certain type flower too.


Here's a close up of the page with the suggestions.  All the photos in this post should be clickable to make them larger.

I just love this type of hand drawn images.  It reminds me of a naturalist's journal only with stitcher's notes!

It even has stitch diagrams!  Which I find extremely helpful too.

Here's one of the pages that shows how you can combine stitches into rows.  I think this would be good for crazy quilters too!


This might just be my favorite page in the whole book!  I love those drawings and the quote is ever so true.  Here's what is says:

"The act of longing
for something
will always be more intense
than the requiring of it"
- Gail Goodwin

When I first read that I thought is should have read "acquiring" instead of "requiring."  You know, like when you chase down that chart you just gotta have or the anticipation that builds before a retreat weekend.  LOL!

Anyway, I just had to share this with you in case it might be helpful to you too.  I'm not affiliated with the author or any of that jazz.  Just a happy reader who is happy to share with you all today!

I'm making progress on several things but nothing significant enough to show yet.  Thanks for stopping by!  I love your visits.  I hope you are having a good week so far!


Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That book looks lovely.

How did you get over your fear of linen? I have never stitched on it but I recently won a chart and she included the linen with it. It's so soft and so intimidating! I'm afraid that I will ruin it when I try to stitch on it. Any hints you can give me to get over my fear would be great!

Carrie

http://addictedtostiching.blogspot.com/

Margaret said...

Interesting. Might have to look it up. thanks!

Lelia said...

I just purchased this book - I really like the size, diagrams, etc.

A nice publication

Giovanna said...

It looks like a really nice book, thanks for sharing!

Annette-California said...

What a lovely book. I to love the drawings and just a great book for freestyle stitching. Great post Lisa!
love Annette

Carol said...

That looks like a very helpful book! I just checked and a local library has it so I'll order it through interlibrary loan soon :) Thanks for the nice review, Lisa!!