Monday, August 20, 2012

Tin Topper Finish

In my last post I mentioned stitching the single pocket from Hillside Samplings' "My Stitching Chair Necessaire."  I stitched the fob from this chart earlier this summer and wanted to stitch a tin topper to go with it.  I'm pleased to be able to show you the finished piece today.

Design:  Single Pocket from "My Stitching Chair Necessaire"
Designer:  Hillside Samplings
Fabric: 36 ct. Parchment
Floss:  DMC as charted
Started:  8/5/12
Finished:  8/13/12
Completed:  8/19/12

I did have to add some stitches to the width to make it big enough to cover the wording printed on the lid.  I tried a "new-to-me" stitch in the center of the flowers called cross tied windmill.  It turned out pretty well for my first attempt at it.


Here it is with the scissors fob I stitched back in May.  I opted to go with the red twisted cord rather than match the green on the fob so it would blend better with the tin's top.

I actually made both the red and the green to see which I liked best.  Hubby said he liked the red better so I went with that.  I like it too.  It gives more focus to the stitching rather than detracting from it like the green seemed to do.

I also used seven layers of thin cotton batting to give the top a bit of pouf.  I think I'll do this again on the next one.  I tend to use the tin topper lid as a needle nanny when I'm stitching.  

I've made several tin toppers in the past seen here, here, here and here.  I really do enjoy making them. They are so useful for stitching on the go.

***

I hope you had a good weekend and I hope your week is good too.  Thanks for stopping by today for a visit with me.


Until next time,

The Inspired Stitcher

9 comments:

Shirlee said...

Very pretty! I am way too afraid of trying something like that : )

Margaret said...

It's so pretty! Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Hello

Your finish is lovely!
You have a lovely blog.
Holly x

Carol said...

Such a pretty finish, Lisa--I love the specialty stitches in this one. Have never heard of the "cross tied windmill" stitch (but then there are a lot of specialty stitches that are new to me!!)... I looked through each of your old tin finishes and they're all so lovely. Really do need to try one of these myself some day :)

Hope you enjoy your week, too!

Lana said...

Beautiful stitching and finishing! I love the red cording, as I think the darker colors make everything pop! But I love the green as well, as it gives a pretty soft finishing touch! They are both beautiful in their own way!

Judy said...

Lovely tin topper! The cording is very nicely done. Do you use a drill or twist by hand? I will admit the blackbird one is my favorite. But I am a blackbird junkie! And I really like your Jolly Jack--very cute--will look forward to the finish.

Have a good week. Thanks for sharing.

Judy heartland stitcher

Marilyn said...

It's very pretty Lisa, as are all of your Tin Toppers. :)
Marilyn

Marsha said...

It's really nice Lisa. You are a wonderful finisher.

Anne said...

Love your tin finishes Lisa! Your finishing is perfect and I really love that wee little fob too!!