I was able to get a good start on my third ornament for our guild's Christmas party while in the waiting room. I managed to finish it this weekend and make a start on the fourth one. Check it out!
Design: Joy of Christmas
Designer: My Big Toe Designs
Fabric: 36 ct. white iridescent linen
Floss: Belle Soie "Tulip"
Started: 11/16/12
Finished: 11/23/12
Completed: 11/23/12
I can't show you the back of this one as it's personalized for the recipient. I know she reads the blog too. I just hope she likes it.
I stitched it over two instead of the over one as charted. Using the 36ct. helped it not be too large. It still turned out a little bigger than anticipated but I like it. I wish the iridescent threads showed up better in the picture. It really makes it feel festive.
I decided to use silk on this one. I could have used DMC but I wanted to treat myself with the silk. It just feels so yummy! Aren't we stitchers all about feeling the fabric and floss anyway? I know I am!
I'm so glad to be on the downhill side of the commitment stitching. I need to finish up the fourth ornament and then it will be BAP time again. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do all the stitching I'd like to do and still work too. I'm sure all of you that work know what I mean. I'm really looking forward to the time off at Christmas.
***
Speaking of the holidays, I had a request for my pie recipe. I don't have a picture to share as we ate it all up before I even thought to snap one (I grabbed this one from a Google search). You'll have to take my word for it when I say it was yummy! I know there are a couple blog readers out there that can testify.
Now I must tell you a little history about this particular pie. The recipe was created between 1810 and 1825 by the North Carolina Quakers who settled on farms along the eastern border of Indiana, especially in the Winchester, Richmond, Portland and New Castle areas. It is also the official Indiana state pie!
I grew up eating it and never realized it was a regional thing. Most of my friends in the city had never eaten it or heard of it. It has no eggs or butter in it unlike other versions of this type of pie. Here's the recipe. Let me know if you make one.
Indiana Sugar Cream Pie
1/2 Cup white sugar
1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 pint heavy whipping cream (I've used half and half but it's not as good)
freshly ground nutmeg
1 unbaked pie crust (Mrs. Pillsbury makes mine but you can suit yourself)
Mix all the dry ingredients together (white sugar, brown sugar, flour and salt).
Slowly add the whipping cream. Do not over stir.
Pour into unbaked pie crust.
Grate nutmeg over top. (I always freshly grate mine.)
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn down the heat to 350 and bake for 20-25 minutes more. The pie will be a bit jiggly in the middle when you take it out but it will firm up as it cools.
***
Until next time,
The Inspired Stitcher

14 comments:
Great ornament and the pie looks good, too.
Beautiful ornament! I think you absolutely had to use silk on this. *nods head sagely*
PIE! Sorry, I kind of yell the word PIE every time someone mentions there's pie. I can't wait to try it!
Lovely ornament! And the pie recipe -- yum! Thanks for sharing it and the history with us!
Congratulations on another beautiful ornament finish.
Oh, and now I want pie! I "just" happen to have all the ingredients listed ;)
Terri
tdwoverton@gmail.com
What a great recipe! It sounds similar to a pie in South Africa called Mill Tart, I ate this when I travelled there. Roll on your BAP!
Fee
Your pie recipe sounds good, thank you for sharing.
There is nothing quite like the feel of silk.
That turned out pretty, love the floss color.
I know what you mean about work.
It gets in the way! lol
Thanks for the pie recipe, it looks delicious!
Marilyn
Very pretty ornament, well done!
Lovely ornament! The pie looks good too : )
Nice job on the ornament! Interesting pie recipe, I'll have to try it sometime. We did a pecan pie for the first time. I couldn't bring myself to eat it because of all the sugar. To look at me is to know that I'm a carb fan, but it just seemed like SO much sugar. Everybody else liked it, though. ;)
Another great ornament, Lisa. Guess I can see it in person at the guild Christmas party.
Your pie recipe sounds yummy!
Best doggone pie EVER! And another Indiana favorite Persimmon Pudding...I just made one for Thanksgiving and am hankering for another as it is my absolute favoritist! :)
Your stitching is beautiful, and the ornament turned out lovely!
Thanks for the recipe, definitely bookmarking that one!:)
Really cute ornament, Lisa and that pie sounds amazing. I only bake pies at Thanksgiving, but maybe I'll make an exception and bake this one for Christmas--we'll see how much time I find :)
Post a Comment