I'm sure you've probably read other bloggers' review Yiota's Xstitch (www.yiotas-xstitch.com) kits in blogland. I was curious about these kits myself so I ordered one to see what all the fuss was about. Who doesn't love trying something new?! I received mine last Friday after it was shipped out on Monday! That's pretty good for winging across the pond from the UK!
The kit I chose was a design I've wanted to find for ages! It's "Strawberry Thief by William Morris." I've always loved William Morris' designs. Yiota has several William Morris kits/charts to choose from!
The kit came with all the Madeira floss needed to get started. The floss came pre-wound on card stock bobbins with the colors already labeled for me just waiting to be put on a floss ring. The bobbins were also lightly attached to a sticky paper so they didn't shift during shipping.
I've never stitched with Madeira so I'm looking forward to that experience. The fabric cut was a nice size and it even came with a needle! Everything I need is right there. No having to hunt for anything. That's the best part of a kit!
I'm impressed with the chart itself. It's printed on a large piece of paper thus eliminating the need to blow it up on the copier before starting. The symbols are clear and very different from each other so there's no confusion between colors. I like that the chart is marked off with the stitch count in the margins so you don't get off track. I also like that there's a shaded overlap from one page to another.
The colors are charted for the kitted Madeira threads as well as DMC too. So in case you don't get the kit like I did and only get the chart, you can still kit it up with something that's probably already in your stash. You can even get an e-mail download instead of a printed chart/kit. I like that too!
The kit came with an Instructions & Tips sheet which I really liked seeing. It's full of really good advice. It gives very clear instructions for stitching and many tips a beginner would want to know.
Not shown on this sheet but a good inclusion was the size dimensions for different fabric counts printed on the front of the chart. I don't know how many times I've had to stop and do the math to figure out how big something is going to be. This saves that trouble for sure!
Overall, I'm really pleased with my choice. Yiota's communication was top notch when I had questions and I got a prompt response. The shipping was reasonable and rather quick considering the distance it traveled too. It would be even cheaper if you decided to order an email download!
The only drawback I see is that this particular kit was only offered in Aida. I would have preferred to have had a linen option or an evenweave option as well as a choice of fabric color. I was surprised to receive black Aida! The website didn't indicate the fabric was black. I think I'll stitch mine on a navy blue linen instead but that's just me.
I found Yiota's website very easy to navigate and really liked the many choices she had to offer. I also like helping out a small family business. Too many of them are falling off the face of the earth in this economy...sad but true!
If you get a chance, pop over to her site and have a look around. Be sure to check out the "Gallery" page of stitched pieces by Yiota's customers. Amazing! This is such a fun site to wander around. I think you'll enjoy having a look like I did.
Thanks for listening to me ramble on today. I just had to share this experience with you all since I've read others' thoughts on these kits. I couldn't resist chiming in too. As you can tell, I'm pleased with my kit. Let me know if you get one! I'd be curious which one you choose!
Until next time,
The Inspired Stitcher
9 comments:
c'est votre future broderie ? Encore une merveille les fils ont l'air très beaux !
bisous de France mon amie !
I've read very good reports on these kits. I'm not one to stitch those full-coverage designs, but I do admire them. You made a great pattern choice!
Very thorough review! I love your choice of kit too.
This does look like a very nice kit. I really like the mix of colors. Will look forward to your finished piece.
Judy heartland stitcher
Love Strawberry Thief kit. I have to agree with your review because I have Quest for Unicorn of Yiota's kit. I love that they have designs that are not offered here in the US. I look forward to seeing your progress on this design. love Annette
Thanks for sharing such a detailed review! I took a quick look at the site and LOVE those William Morris designs!
Definitely will be going back there shortly to do a bit of shopping! Thanks again. Can't wait to see your progress on Strawberry Thief!
Lovely kit & great review! I've got one of Yiota's kits as well ... a winter scene of course ... & look forward to stitching it one day : )
I have been dying to stitch more William Morris patterns. I am jealous you chose that one!
Hi Lisa,
really great review of the kit, and I love the design too, it is striking beautiful!
I have problems with my email, will get back to you as soon as it is sorted:)
Thanks for this fun report, I am off to visit Yiota's site.
Take care and hugs to you and cutest Shelby from
Anette and Skruttan the sleepy head:):)
Post a Comment