The next installment of my grand adventure took me to Winterthur to see the needlework exhibit! This was what greeted me as I entered the exhibit, the Plimoth Jacket! What a stunner to see in person. I've seen it in pictures but seeing it for real was amazing.
I wasn't sure if you were allowed to take pictures of the exhibit and nobody was there to tell me I couldn't. However, the lighting in there was really dim so the ones I did take didn't come out all that well as you can see.
Curtain Panels
Curtain close up (this one's for Jenny)
Lace with eagles
I found the exhibit catalog after I'd taken these not so great pictures. I am so glad I did because it has excellent pictures of all the items on display. Here it is and one of the book's pages.
The item on the left is a pocketbook worked entirely in queen stitch circa 1783! Worked by, or for, Beulah Biddle. The pair on the right are garters to hold up your socks! They were worked in queen stitch too circa 1753. Worked by, or for, Mary Washington.
The exhibit and the exhibit catalog were both very nicely done. It was worth the trip to Delaware to see it.
***
I didn't stay long at Winterthur as I'd been there before and had already taken a tour of the gardens and home. My next stop was The Strawberry Sampler stitch shop for some stash enhancement. Thanks again to Peggy Lee!
Getting there proved to be interesting as Snagnes (my GPS) had me going "over the river and through the woods" to get there...literally! I have no idea if there was a straighter way but I trusted she would get me where I wanted to go. Look what I found on the way there!
A Covered Bridge!
Waiting my turn to go through the Smith Bridge
I love covered bridges. In fact, the state is going to replace an old metal bridge near my house with a new covered bridge. Imagine how thrilled I was when I stumbled upon this one.
***
After my bridge discovery, I finally made it to my destination!
Here's the go-mobile that got me there.
I know you really want to see inside the shop instead of the car anyway. Okay, back to the good stuff!
Just inside the door
Fabric in baskets by count and alphabetized by color. Love that!
Tons of samples made me want to stitch them all
Looking toward the left of the front door. Check out all the new stuff!
The awesome Strawberry Sampler girls!
If you find yourself near this shop in Glenn Mills, Pennsylvania, you must stop in and see these lovely ladies and their awesome shop. They made me feel right at home the minute I stepped into the shop. I really really wished I lived closer. I promise you won't leave empty handed!
New Strawberry Sampler Stash!!!
Speaking of not leaving empty handed, here is my new stash I couldn't live without. Here's what I got:
- Spotty Dog Hornbook by Needlemade Designs
- Small Americana Hornbook by Dames of the Needle
- Three Things Sampler by Moira Blackburn
- Carre d' Abeilles by Jardin Prive
- Des fleurs toute l'anne by Reflets de Soie
- Woof Flip It by Lizzie Kate
- By the Light of the Moon Freebie by Primitive Needle
- Bee yarn pallet by Puffin & Company (bought in the Winterthur gift shop)
- 36 ct. Buttercream by Lakeside Linens
- 40 ct. Fawn by Lakeside Linens
Can I just tell you I about passed out when I found the Spotty Dog chart and the Carre d' Abeilles charts?! They've been very high on my wish list since I first saw them. I couldn't believe my luck when there they were. Yep, that "to stitch" list just got longer. Funny that list!
I got the Buttercream for a SAL Jenny and I are going to stitch together either later this year or early next year. The other piece of fabric is for the Spotty Dog. I needed something kind of darkish to stitch the white on. I think this one will work. I've also had my eye on that Puffin yarn pallet too.
Well, once again my post has gotten longer than I intended. So if you've stuck with me thus far, thanks a bunch. Tomorrow I'll share all the Show and Tell quilts with you and tell you about a special presentation I attended along with some other random stuff.
Until tomorrow,
The Inspired Stitcher
5 comments:
What gorgeous needlework!
I love covered bridges too! I haven't seen any since I moved down south :( Must be a northern thing lol
What a wonderful XS shop you found! Snagnes did find you a nice scenic route there even though it may have taken awhile to get there lol
Love the new stash you acquired!
ooo just gorgeous is all I can say on the jacket ... way to go on finding a covered bridge and the stash shop is divine .. I want one like that here .... and you defo got a case of baskititis heheheh :) or is that stashitits ;) love mouse xxxx
Oh my gosh!! I'm so insanely jealous. I love The Strawberry Sampler and would love to run through the shop and grab stuff to buy! Looks like you got some great stuff. It looks like you got to see some great stuff at Winterthur, too! The Plimoth jacket must have been amazing to see in person.
So glad you got to see the jacket. We did a bike tour years ago visiting covered bridges in Ohio. It was fun. You and DH could do it on the motorcycle much faster and easier! Nice stash,especially the pin cushion. I need that one too.
So glad you got to visit the girls at The Sampler. Sorry it took me so long to comment here. I've been looking for your blog for some time now because I lost your email.
Love the new stash!
Post a Comment