Friday, July 15, 2011

More about The Stitcher's Getaway

Let's get back to the stitching today.  I started out Saturday morning working on my Getaway Banner.  I finished it up a little bit before lunch.  So I decided to take a break.


When I was in the antiques store on Friday, I struck up a conversation with the shop's owner about thimbles.   She mentioned she wanted to take up quilting and embroidery again.  I was telling her about my special quilter's thimble called a Roxanne Thimble.  (Here's a link if you think you might want one of your own.  And no, they aren't paying me to talk about their thimble.  I just happen to love mine and want to share the love with you.)

See my nail comes out the end

She had long nails like I do.  This thimble is great for someone with long nails because of the hole in it.  I got to thinking about our conversation that night and decided I'd take my thimble to show her.  I'd also wavered on a couple things and wanted to go back to get them.  So off to the shop I went.


Here are the things I had to go back for.  Two more tea infuser spoons and a corn pitcher.  I knew nothing about the pitcher when I went in there.  I just liked it because it reminded me of summers growing up in the country.


The shop owner tipped the pitcher up to show me the maker's mark on the bottom.  Turns out it's a Shawnee pitcher.  I guess they are collectible.  Who knew?  I certainly didn't!

From what I could find on a quick search it looks like the Shawnee Pottery began producing pottery in 1937 in Zanesville, Ohio.  I don't think my piece is that old.  The corn pieces were used in premium giveaways by Proctor & Gamble.  Here's an interesting link if you want to read more.

Quit Yer Bellyachin by AB Designs

After the trip to the antiques store, I took my walk up Main Street for the pictures I showed you yesterday.   When I got back,  I started on our second group project.  It's called Quit Yer Bellyachin by Amy Bruecken of AB Designs.  It was a quick stitch.  I haven't sewn my buttons on it yet because I'm not sure how I'm going to finish it.

Gifts from Belinda

In addition to the wonderful stitching folder I showed you before, Belinda gifted us with things to put in that folder.  We each got a pair of pink Little Gems scissors and a ruler/thread keeper to go in the folder's heart pocket.  She also gave us the hanger for our banners.  Of course I had to have the ones with the acorns.  Others got some that had nice turned finials too.

Close-up of the ruler/thread keeper

I just love the saying on the ruler/thread keeper.  "Stitchery soothes the soul and inspires the mind"  Now that couldn't be more appropriate for me now could it?  Yes, we were truly spoiled!

My monogram stitched and folded

Speaking of our stitching folder, we were to do some pre-stitching before we came to the Getaway.

Belinda's Folder

This is Belinda's folder showing what we are supposed to do with the monogram.  I still need to get mine sewn on.  The little red yo-yo paperclip underneath the folder above is something we made after dinner.


We cut a big circle out of fabric and stitched up a yo-yo.  Then we tacked it to a jumbo paperclip like you'd find at an office supply store.  Finally, we stitched a square of wool over the gathered side of the yo-yo.
You can use it to hold your chart or book open and park your needle or you can glue a magnet on the back and put it on the refrigerator for papers.  Pretty handy!

Getaway Stash

Another fun part of the weekend is shopping the market stuff Belinda brings.  Belinda goes to market each year and buys things specifically for the Stitcher's Getaway.  I think she does a fantastic job.  Here's my Getaway stash:

Fern Ridge Collections - Grey Feast Wool Applique Acorn Scissor Pocket Kit with Scissors
Fern Ridge Collections - Grey Feast Acorn Peyote Scissor Fob Kit
All Through the Night - In The Berry Patch
32 ct. Phoenix by Picture This Plus
28 ct. Moss by Picture This Plus
28 ct. Days Gone By by Zweigart
2 scraps of Natural and Cream Gingham Linen by Weeks Dye Works

Don't you just love stash enhancement?  I know I sure do!

~ ~ ~

We came back Sunday morning for breakfast together and a little more stitching.  Around noon several of us began to say our good-byes and head for home.  


As you can tell from the picture we were all smiles from a great weekend of stitching, visiting, and tons of new inspiration.  I'm already looking forward to next time!

The Inspired Stitcher

7 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Sounds like you had a great time, they look like a lovely friendly bunch too.
I've been on one retreat and would love to go on another.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Thank you for the sweet comment Jo! If you get the chance to go again, I think you should. It's great fun!

Mouse said...

ooooo I like the whole of your post from start to finish :) mmmmmm you all look a lovely bunch of stitchers too and I've got some of the weeks dye works gingham but didn't know that what it was ..lol :) love mouse xxxx

Jenny said...

Those are some really, really neat projects. The monogram is super-sweet!
Your finds are just great - that corn can is something else - cracks me up (but it is elegant too, in a rustic way).
I have seen your thimble in the past and I think that it is the coolest invention ever! I mean, as a stitcher/quilter/seamstress, don't you find that you nails turn in to pretty handy tools too?
I love the last photo too - it looks like everyone had a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa- the whole trip looked like great fun! Love the yoyo paperclip thing and the corn holder is too cute!

See you soon

Martha W

geeky Heather said...

What a fantastic time you had! And you got so much stitched, too!

I swear we had a corn pitcher just like that when I was growing up! I suppose it's somewhere in the basement....

MysteryKnitter said...

Awesome things! All of that you stitched and got.