I do want to share a quote from a book we found in the Breathitt House. It pretty much sums up my feelings about history and historic places. Collecting quotes is another thing I like to do.
"There comes a voice that awakes my soul. It is the voice of years that are gone, they roll before me with their deeds." - Ossian
I had never heard of Ossian so I Googled to see what came up. From Wikipedia, "Ossian is the narrator and supposed author of a cycle of poems which the Scottish poet James Macpherson claimed to have translated from ancient sources in the Scots Gaelic. His is based on a character from Irish mythology."
~ ~ ~
So for those who want to come along, let's go for a walk together shall we?
(See the Chamber of Commerce website for a walking tour map)
The Carrico Park Square
I started my walk in the Carrico Park Square. According to the Chamber of Commerce website, "It is the site of the old Court House, c. 1822. The first courthouse was a cedar log building built in 1792. Andrew Jackson practiced law in the Logan County Court House around 1794."
There are several memorials in the park and more of the signs I told you about the other day. It's a really pretty place and truly in the center of town!
Confederate Soldiers' Monument
War Cannon
From the park I proceeded south on Main Street. The homes on this street just took my breath away. Oh to have been here back in the day! Imagine the stories these beauties could tell. I think it would be fun to do a house tour for a peek inside them or even see them all done up for Christmas.
Old Bank Building
Once known as the Southern Bank of Kentucky. It was built in 1853 by George W. Norton, the structure served as both bank and residence. It was robbed by the Jesse James Gang in 1868 in their first documented robbery. During the Civil War, over one million dollars of currency was removed from the vault and hidden to avoid confiscation by soldiers. (Source: Chamber of Commerce website)
This picture really says summer to me. I just had to get a picture of a real gas light burning! We don't have these here at home or at least not in my neighborhood.
Here are some random houses on Main street. No signs but so very pretty. I could see several of them stitched on samplers. What do you think?
Here are some random houses on Main street. No signs but so very pretty. I could see several of them stitched on samplers. What do you think?
This was the last house I ran across with a historic maker sign in front.
After I got to the end of Main Street at the O'Bannon House, I turned around and headed back. It had gotten really hot and I forgot to bring my water with me. Here are a few beauties I passed as I went back down the other side of the street.
Don't you just love this side porch's circular stairway? I can just see a girl all dressed up for prom coming down those steps. I could also see myself sitting there stitching with a nice tall glass of sweet tea by my side too!
Magnolia
I passed this magnolia and didn't notice the flower at first. It was the lovely smell that caught my attention and made me turn around for the picture. It was just heavenly. It really is good to stop and smell the flowers!
I hope you enjoyed the walk with me. I know there are other beautiful homes I missed on the side streets. I guess that will be a walk for another day.
There's still more stitching to post about. I think I'll keep that for later.
Until then,
The Inspired Stitcher
There's still more stitching to post about. I think I'll keep that for later.
Until then,
The Inspired Stitcher
2 comments:
Oh, those photos are so beautiful! I always wanted a Victorian house - those houses make me even more eager to get one!
Jenny, I hope you do find a great house like one of these so I can come visit. Hugs!
Post a Comment