Friday, July 29, 2011

My Stitching Nest

I ran across a blog post today that inspired me to think about where I stitch and wanted to share it with you.  The original post shared where she blogged from.  I thought it might be fun since we are stitchers to share where I stitch instead!

My Nest

Let me tell you a little bit about my nest.  I stitch in our living room.  Usually while listening to the TV.  You'll notice my nest is on the right end of the couch if you were sitting down.  This is so the arm of the couch can support my right arm as I stitch (I'm right handed dontcha know).  

The other thing you'll notice is the position of the Ott-Lite.  It shines over my right shoulder when I'm stitching so I don't get any nasty shadows on my work.

You'll also notice it's a bit messy.  Nope, I did not straighten up before I took the picture.  I'm keepin' it real folks!

The two bags on the floor are the ones I've dragged about recently.  My DH says I have an obsession with tote bags.  Imagine that?!  I tend to think you can never have too many.

I made the patchwork stripe one on a marathon sewing day with Jenny.  She wanted to learn how to quilt and I thought a tote bag would be a good way to learn the basics.  I'm proud to say she was an excellent student and went home that night with a completed bag!

The other bag is my Vera Bradley "Little Travel Bag."  I found mine on the Bay of Evil (eBay).  I'm pretty sure it's a discontinued one but you can still find them on the Bay. I usually take this one with me on retreats or to classes.  I'll tell you more about this bag another day

I also keep a shallow Longaberger basket beside me.  It's usually filled with charts I'm thinking of stitching or newly acquired stash I still want to fondle before I put it away.  Oh come on, you know you fondle your stash too!  We're keepin' it real remember?! 

Close up of the Nest

Here's what usually lives on the end table I affectionately refer to as my Nest.  I keep all my necessary stitchy things either laying here or in the Shaker basket.

Laying here, we have my Stitcher's Lotion, my Star De-tailor (an absolute must-have in my world), my travel tin (usually in a project bag), my current project's floss on a ring, and my scissors with that cute fob attached.

A quick note about the fob, I was gifted with this cute fob and a coordinating floss tag by Staci of Snippets and Stash last year in a private exchange hosted by Becky Bee.  I really enjoyed that exchange.  Of course this was before I had a blog.


You'll also notice my wind up frog.  I got him this year in the gift shop at the lodge where our LNS has it's annual stitching retreat.  He cracked me up when I saw him.  When you wind him up he does a back flip.  Too dang funny!  I had to have him.  I say if it makes me laugh out loud then it has to come home with me.

In my Shaker basket I keep packs of spare needles, a nail file, a 6-inch Omnigrid ruler, a pencil, some fabric scissors, a Purple Thang (I do my own finishing.  It's great to use when stuffing things.) and my very necessary ORT (Old Raggedy Threads) collector.  It's actually a spongeware ring holder I got from a Henn Pottery party a very long time ago.

So there you have it, that's where I stitch and what's in my stitching nest.  I hope this post inspires you to share your stitching nest too.  I'd love to see where you stitch and what you find necessary to keep near you when you stitch.  If you decide to do a post too, leave me a comment on this one so I can come check it out.

Have a great weekend everybody!

The Inspired Stitcher

5 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great pics of your nest and necessaries.
I "nest" at the same end of the sofa as you do too! Hubby commandered the other end as it has the optimum viewing and listening position for the TV! He MUST sit centrally for the surround sound to please him.

Jenny said...

Hi L-bug! ;-)
What a great post! I so wish that we lived closer so that we could come visit and hang out in our nests together!
Thanks for the reward in your last post too - it's my first, so I am thrilled to get one from you of all peeps out there! I will have to think about some stuff to share that I have not already talked about...

Hannah - City Stitcher said...

Love your nest! I ahve a similar one, although I keep a box next to mine with all my bits and bobs in and tidy everything into the box when I am done. I love the star de-tailer, I need one!

Stitching Noni said...

What a great spot to sit and stitch! I tend to stitch at the table but when I do sit on the couch I sit in the same position as you as I am right handed as well.... generally the cat gets the couch first though so it's easier to sit at the table next to the couch. My light and stitching box all stay in the same spot that way I just have to turn the light around to suit where I am sitting!

I have to get one of those purple thangs things and the star de-tailor - they look like the ultimate must haves for my stitching box!!

http://firefliescatsinthegarden.blogspot.com/

MysteryKnitter said...

I'm a right handed person too. And I love to stitch, be it I actually needlepoint stamped canvases. They become gifts once the last stitch has found its' place.