This year we celebrate 15 years together! Yep, 15 years. I can hardly believe it myself. It really doesn't feel like it at all when you are married to your best friend.
We had initially talked about doing it up big for this one but circumstances of reality changed that plan. So instead we decided an overnight getaway would be just the thing to do. So where did we go you might ask?
Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill, Kentucky
We went to Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill, Kentucky. It is truly a remote place nestled in the rolling hills of central Kentucky. I just loved all the stone fences we passed along the way and all the beautiful horses in the fields.
We thought we might ride the motorcycle but Mother Nature had other plans. We woke up to a grand thunderstorm and rain. Well, needless to say we were not getting on the motorcycle in weather like that. So we packed up the little truck and off we went!
Here's our home away from home. It's a stone house that was built in 1811. Yes, we stayed in a 200 year old house! The first floor window on the right was our room. It was kinda neat staying in a place that old.
This was the view when you looked to the left outside the door.
Once we dropped our things off in the room we decided to head down to the river for a riverboat cruise!
The Dixie Belle
Bend in the Kentucky River
Railroad bridge
Rain!!!
No this is not a fuzzy picture. This is how hard it was raining when I took this picture! Yes, we got soaked on our cruise. We noticed the dark clouds rolling in when we boarded the boat. The captain said since there wasn't any lightening we would still go out. In spite of the torrential down pour it was still fun.
When we woke up the next morning it was still raining hard. We had thought we would walk around and check out the buildings but the rain made us decide otherwise. We later found out it was the remnants of tropical storm "Lee" making its way northward. We most likely would have been waiting all day and it still would be raining! Oh well, it just gave us a good reason to come back another day. Maybe we'll have to make a day trip out of it on the motorcycle next time.
Before we left for home we made a trip to the craft shop for a souvenir. As I've mentioned before I collect Shaker boxes so I wanted to go see what I could add to the collection. I was really amazed to see this stack in the store. Oh to have such a stack in my house. I can only dream! Instead I came home with these little beauties.
A tray to keep beside my stitching nest, a presentation box, and a Shaker tree chart.
My honey and I got to laughing on the way home when we realized the similarities this anniversary getaway had to our actual honeymoon and early vacations. We took a dinner cruise on our honeymoon between two tropical islands. There was a hurricane coming when we boarded the plane to return from our honeymoon and several of our early vacations were spent in a pick-up truck with no air-conditioning. How's that for coincidences?!
No matter where we go or what we do, I always have fun when my honey is by my side. Here's to another 15 years!
Until next time,
The Inspired Stitcher
8 comments:
Congrats on your anniversay!! Looks like a great getaway in spite of the rain.
:-)
Martha
Many congratulations. That looks like a wonderful getaway! I love the house you stayed in - so pretty and sooo old! :-)
Happy anniversary!! If I've learned anything since living here, it's not to wait till better weather--just go and do your thing despite the rain. I LOVED your pictures. I love history and would love to go there someday, so I had fun looking at the pics.
ooo congrats on the anniversary :) nearly catching up with me ..lol .... looks like you had a fab time despite the rain .. love the photos and those shaker boxes are gorgeous :) love mouse xxxx
Happy 15th Anniversary!! How nice that the two of you got to get away together--even in the rain :) Looks like a great trip and your little Shaker boxes will be a nice reminder of it.
Congrats on your anniversary. We have been to Pleasant Hill several times and really love it. With my hobby of needlework and my husband's of woodworking we find it inspirational.
Still getting the remnants of Lee in Virginia. Hope he goes away soon - 7+ inches of rain.
Happy Belated Anniversary!!
Sounds like you two had a wonderful time despite the rain :) Love your shaker boxes !
Congratulations on your anniversary, what a lovely trip.
We got married on 07/07/07 so no excuse for either of us to forget. We started the evening party at 7.07pm which slightly stole my friend's thunder as he was planning to propose to his girlfriend at that exact time!
Post a Comment