Also, please don't pay attention to my craptastic 1970s kitchen counter and backsplash. I live in an old house and the kitchen hasn't been high on the remodel list. It's functional...nuf, said.
So let's get on with it shall we?
***
Cast of Characters
- Rick Rack (Mine was 100% polyester from JoAnn's)
- Tan Rit Liquid Dye (I found mine at Wal-mart)
- Old clear glass jar with tight fitting lid. (I used a pint canning jar)
- Metal Tablespoon (Unless you don't mind custom colored plastic)
- Measuring cup - 1 cup size
- An apron or clothes you don't mind getting dye on. (I opted for the apron.)
- A couple wet paper towels to wipe up any spills. (Unless you don't mind a spotty countertop.)
Place 1 cup of water in the jar.
Microwave the water for 45 seconds on High.
Add two tablespoons dye to the warm water.
Make sure to screw the lid on tight and shake to well to mix.
It will get a little foamy. Don't worry it's okay.
Wet the rick rack with warm water.
Add the wet rick rack to the dye mixture.
Replace the lid tightly and shake well.
Let sit until the rick rack is the color you want.
I let mine sit about 15 minutes.
If you use 100% cotton it might not take this long. Just keep an eye on it.
Remove the rick rack when you are happy with the color.
As you can see I used tongs. I really didn't want to walk around with brown fingers. You might be okay with that look. Just sayin'.
Rinse the rick rack.
Some of the dye rinsed out so it's not so dark. It will also dry lighter too.
Keep this in mind if you want yours darker.
Allow it to air dry.
I figured over the sink was the best place to do this.
You may want to iron yours. Especially if you use cotton.
I didn't need to do that with mine.
Here are the end results close up.
Ta Da!!!
***
I hope this tutorial inspired you to give dyeing a try. It really was pretty easy. I'm still amazed that 100% polyester took the dye like it did. I would definitely do this again!
Special thanks go out to the Blackbird Designs girls for excellent written instructions. Worked like a charm!
Until next time,
The Inspired Stitcher
5 comments:
Great turtorial Lisa. Thanks for that :-)
Wonderful tutorial Lisa! I'm a visual person so it was perfect for me :)
I already have the bottle of tan dye. I just have to pick up some rick rack and give it a try.
Thanks!
Nice Lisa- thanks for sharing. the little side comments are so "you"
:-)
Martha
Thanks for the great tutorial!! I'll have to grab some white ric rac and dyes now and play with colours :D
Great tutorial!!
Post a Comment